CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

wendy

25th March 2011, 19:45
Cafca said...

Thanks Wendy. Yes, I do often finish them. To get so exercised over such a comment says more about you than about Araucaria.

You wouldn't like to see me exercise, of that I'm certain!! However, if I could EXORCISE you I'd be first in the queue.

I reckon you're just winding us up and it worked - your "raison d'etre" I suppose.

11 of 33  -   Report This Post

geena

25th March 2011, 19:57
if you don't understand the meaning of the word exercise as used by Cafco no wonder you struggle with crosswords.
12 of 33  -   Report This Post

harry

26th March 2011, 08:27
Geena, I don't think that you read Wendy's reply carefully enough. I happen to know her quite well and she can knock off a prize Paul pretty quickly, not world record standards perhaps but still pretty keen for an octogenarian!
13 of 33  -   Report This Post

ajt

26th March 2011, 09:01
I think this criticism of Araucaria is missing the point. I don't think his puzzles are particularly difficult, but I don't think he had any rival for the wit, humour and subtlety that just shines from them.
14 of 33  -   Report This Post

turast

26th March 2011, 10:47
Quo, quo scelesti ruitis?

He's still in my pantheon. As somebody has already pointed out, don't do them if you don't like them. And because you don't like his product, why resort to ad hominem attacks? It is puerile nonsense for you mere solvers to snipe at a setter just because you are missing the point. These are crosswords which are not strictly Ximenean, but follow more in the tradition of Bunthorne. Presumably you have some preferred setters, and every one of them would, I'm sure, utterly repudiate the piffle you've spouted here.
15 of 33  -   Report This Post

laughing boy

26th March 2011, 17:59
Back in the day, as a twenty something, when you only had a Collins or OED to refer to, completing your 1st 'monkey puzzle' sitting the tennis box of a particular N London open space, was a major achievement and filled you with a sense of pride and satisfaction.

So have to say I'm a bit bemused by some of these posts!!!

Let's hope he's got a legacy of puzzles to leave us when he departs this mortal coil, as those who care will miss him when he's gone (but not too soon we hope).
16 of 33  -   Report This Post

wendy

26th March 2011, 20:29
LAUGHING BOY

..... I think I love you!!

17 of 33  -   Report This Post

jonboy

27th March 2011, 08:48
Hi folks
Don't feed the trolls, eh?
Cheers
18 of 33  -   Report This Post

trevor

27th March 2011, 09:04
jonboy,
are you declaring yourself to be Cafca?
or just presuming yourself to be smarter than everybody else?

even a troll can provoke a decent debate,that does not mean that we all swallow the bait.

19 of 33  -   Report This Post

chald

27th March 2011, 10:32
Laughing Boy, if you type Guardian Puzzles into Google, then select Cryptic, you will find a list of setters that set for the Guardian, 34 of them I think, including Araucaria. Click on Araucaria and you will find hundreds of his puzzles to download or print.
20 of 33  -   Report This Post