CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bullfrog

27th February 2011, 12:27
Ah well -- so much for Ash's promise to reinstate the HTML. You'll have to copy and paste...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17973385/Virus%20Warning.doc
31 of 42  -   Report This Post

ixion

27th February 2011, 12:34

wendy

27th February 2011, 12:35
Thanks Bullfrog,

Will bring forward time of my scan and see what happens.

Shame about Ash - he sounded so helpful too!
33 of 42  -   Report This Post

robtherich

27th February 2011, 12:51
I'm on Planet Mac, so much of the preceding is in an alien language.

What I have noticed, though, is that stuff on this site has slowed down somewhat: moving through the pages and so on. No warning messages, just a general apathy. Could be my age...
34 of 42  -   Report This Post

anna

27th February 2011, 14:00
I tried to get onto this site four times this morning and every time I got a Trojan alert from my paid version of Avast. Didn't get alerts from any of the other internet sites I visited, just come back to see if this site is available and got on no trouble. Scary though.
35 of 42  -   Report This Post

megan

27th February 2011, 14:05
Have just received warning from AVG when I opened the Forum so have shut down and rebooted. I thought it was just my computer but obviously not having seen all the previous posts.
36 of 42  -   Report This Post

fullerene

28th February 2011, 03:27
I think this threat may come from an ad on the site. I don't get any alerts with AdBlocker Plus enabled in Firefox. Also (to contradict a previous post) AVG free edition does detect and block viruses in real time. That and a scan every so often with SpyBot (also free) should give all the protection you need. Paid-for AV programmes are a waste of money, imo.
37 of 42  -   Report This Post

wendy

28th February 2011, 08:13
fullerene

Thanks. I was under the impression that one shouldn't use 2 anti virus things at the same time. Have heard of Spy bot, but that's about all.

Presumably to run them both is OK...?
38 of 42  -   Report This Post

turast

28th February 2011, 15:24
I have AVG free. It has been sending alert messages every time I try to use this forum. However loads of people still posting (28th Feb), so it must be just some of us having problems. So, reluctantly, I must say farewell, until the problem is fixed. I know many of you will be devastated to lose me.
39 of 42  -   Report This Post

wendy

28th February 2011, 16:31
Sorry to hear about Turast.

I'm reverting to Dr. Norton as being the belt and braces person for the job.
40 of 42  -   Report This Post