CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cfac

24th November 2010, 20:28
I'm trying to find an 8 letter word containing the letters i and v consecutively for the following clue:
Case belonging to me, minus 1, gets it back on against Spain.
Could the answer be GENITIVE, I can't quite follow the reasoning - any guidance much appreciated - thank you!
1 of 27  -   Report This Post

jimc

24th November 2010, 20:36
Hi Ccfac.

'genitive' = the possesssive case ('of me' ... etc.)

'ti' = 'it' backwards.
'v' = against/versus.
'E' = Espana/Spain.

Was the answer to clue no.1 'geni'?

JimC
2 of 27  -   Report This Post

jimc

24th November 2010, 21:01
Hi again.

Maybe the answer is the 'locative' case.

'local' ='belonging to me' less the last letter ??
'ti' = 'it' backwards.
'v' = against/versus.
'E' = Espana/Spain.

JimC
3 of 27  -   Report This Post

famous5

24th November 2010, 23:24
Genitive - the minus refers to neg(ative) backwards, then i (for 1) etc as above
4 of 27  -   Report This Post

lady bee

25th November 2010, 08:49
You've all got the right answer but your reasoning is off beam. This is one of the cleverer answers. I also got to genitive fairly quickly (the case is not possessive of 'me' but shows possessive of anything)but the 'minus 1' came in a eureka moment. Who set the quiz? GEN2. Therefore me Gen2, minus 1, comes to GENI. Clever, eh?!
5 of 27  -   Report This Post

george iii

25th November 2010, 08:58
Your reasoning is perfectly sound and as you pointed out one of the cleverer questions.

Your timing,'though, is shocking.

This quiz has TWO months to run. Can't anyone curb their need to complete every quiz NOW?!!!

Give us a break!
6 of 27  -   Report This Post

famous5

25th November 2010, 09:33
Insider knowledge Lady Bee!!

Anyway, how can I get this quiz to have a go?
7 of 27  -   Report This Post

ladybee

25th November 2010, 10:04
The Secretary,
Kirkcaldy Art Club
38 Douglas Street
KIRKCALDY
Fife KY1 1QG

cheque payable to Kirkcaldy Art Club for £1 or greater if you wish to add a donation.

SAE no smaller than 9" x 4"

The quiz is called Not Holly, but Ivy and each answer contains the adjacent letters IV.

The quiz was advertised on the AnswerBank and this is the 4th one that Gen2 has done.

I think that's all I can tell you except that it's very enjoyable and a great brain exercise.
8 of 27  -   Report This Post

george iii

25th November 2010, 11:30
PLEASE! Don't let this quiz go the way of the Rainbow A train! That is bordering on the farcical and has now been reduced to a raffle.

this site is getting as bad as the Answerbank!
9 of 27  -   Report This Post

lady bee

25th November 2010, 13:32
So George III are you only doing the quiz in order to win the £30 prize? If that is not the case, then no-one is taking away your personal enjoyment and satisfaction at doing these quizzes 100% on your own. Why did you look at this when the heading clearly said Art and was obvious as to which quiz it referred to?
10 of 27  -   Report This Post