CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

karen

7th November 2010, 02:38
Sorry 16d Party like gunmen in war (5.4) I have the answer(nothing else could fit),still dont understand,apart from the 'dig' bit! What am I missing? I dont get 18a Plane Tree? either! Must have got thicker!Help
21 of 32  -   Report This Post

ixion

7th November 2010, 02:43
Karen

18A short grass - ree(d)
earth - planet
22 of 32  -   Report This Post

ixion

7th November 2010, 02:45
mars - god of war
ra - royal artillery(not republican army as I first thought)
dig- like
23 of 32  -   Report This Post

karen

7th November 2010, 03:03
Hello ixion, thank you, I was thinking (Mars) god of war,just couldn't fit it into the clue! Oh well time for bed!nightx Perhaps I should give up cryptics
24 of 32  -   Report This Post

jeffc

7th November 2010, 14:09
Awake, breakfasted and refreshed in Toronto on the day after the clocks went back. Perhaps ixion has an explanation for the beheaded native? I awoke with no new insights I'm sorry to say. I wouldn't give up Karen, just accept that some of the Prize clues tend to be a bit abstruse of necessity... I'm sure the compilers don't want it to be too easy. At the same time, some of the clues could definitely be improved without sacrificing difficulty. My personal opinion is that resorting to a very unusual word (e.g. 'toc emma' in last week's Prize) is a sign of either weakness or laziness (unwilling to go back and undo some words because an usual word is forced by the choice of other words) in a compiler.
25 of 32  -   Report This Post

otherstuff

8th November 2010, 17:09
Is 13d really NINEPENCE - I cannot for the life of me figure out how Gateshead comes into this
26 of 32  -   Report This Post

peterm

8th November 2010, 17:19
N(orth)E(ast) PEN
27 of 32  -   Report This Post

ixion

8th November 2010, 18:36
(m)other - as in mother country/motherland?
28 of 32  -   Report This Post

otherstuff

8th November 2010, 19:17
Firstly thankyou peterm.
3 down puzzles me - the finges of party should be py
but that doesn't apply here. So I am left to insert
HINDI but cannot justify it with the wordplay. I'm ignorant obviously
29 of 32  -   Report This Post

ixion

8th November 2010, 19:19
s(hindi)g
30 of 32  -   Report This Post