CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

polly dee

13th April 2009, 15:27
Thank you SO much. I feel such a fool that I couldnt see that answer !!
11 of 29  -   Report This Post

campanilla

13th April 2009, 16:05
I agree with grumpygeezer. Browning is an action and the answer is where you would put something you had "browned".

Has everybody given up on 19 and 94? Even JimB seems to have given up the ghost......
12 of 29  -   Report This Post

dougglos

13th April 2009, 16:13
Hello, Grumpygeezer et al! I'm still convinced that nr. 33 has all to do with a company named Browning, who produce some of the most famous of these particular kitchen items. If you "Google" Browning and that item, you will find a host of websites selling them. Also, the bit about containing "piece by piece" indicates that it is where these are stored. Hope this "cuts" through some of the mystery!!.
13 of 29  -   Report This Post

dougglos

13th April 2009, 16:20
Campanilla - I definitely haven't given up on nrs. 19 and 94, but I am probably no further forward on them as when I received the puzzle!! But I'm still thinking about them. Regards.
14 of 29  -   Report This Post

campanilla

13th April 2009, 16:27
dougglos, if you think "bread" and where you put it after it's been "browned", you'll see where we're coming from. I'm not saying we'reright, but it's logical. I'll go and do your Browning and see if I can see what you mean.
15 of 29  -   Report This Post

dougglos

13th April 2009, 16:33
Campanilla - I bow to your superior thinking! I am now convinced that your answer is correct and will amend accordingly, tail between my legs!! Apologies to all for the "bum steer".
16 of 29  -   Report This Post

campanilla

13th April 2009, 16:37
well now dougglos, I've just found yours which really puts the cat amongst the pigeons. Yours could be valid as Browning is spelt with a capital "b' except they were empty on the page I saw....
17 of 29  -   Report This Post

campanilla

13th April 2009, 16:52
If we're throwing out ideas for No. 19 and I think it's a good idea as a collective brain is better than an empty one (which is me at the present time), comes round could indicate "visits". best friend could be pup/dog/rover/fido/setter/mutt/pooch/hound or any breed really, the Close could be cul-de-sac/dead end or the Close of a cathedral or it could be end/shut as in open/close. Best friend could be mate/pal/ally etc. etc. Protection could be blind/shield/shutter/fender/shelter/screen/cover/
guard etc. etc. etc. This may have confused things even more and I really must like down now in a darkened room as what little brain I have left has suddenly overheated.......... I have a feeling that because we are all practically left with the same two, we are probably trying to make it more complicated than it really is.
18 of 29  -   Report This Post

jimb

13th April 2009, 17:14
Campanilla

JimB here, alive and kicking and trying to make something meaingful from the clues for 19. As with your good self I have been considering alternative words, for instance for close and, apart from your end/shut I have slam/plug/seal/cork/bung/clog/cease/nigh/fast/near/nearby and I'm sure there are more.

To be quite candid I'm starting to think that with so much expertise and experienced agile minds not being able to achieve closure on this there may be an error somewhere in the clue, or is that just egotistical arrogance?

Let's keep trying, eh?
19 of 29  -   Report This Post

campanilla

13th April 2009, 17:25
Yep JaimeBe, I think we both suffer from the same ailment, or it could even be wishful thinking!! Rainbow never get it wrong and to get TWO wrong purlease.... I never give up even if I have to send it in express mail on the last possible day, false pride you see, as though it really makes a difference to get 98 or 99 as long as the charity gets the money. I still think that if we all throw out ideas, the penny will drop sometime (probably May 1st). I'll start work on yours to see if I come up with anything. Keep wearing the Juliet....
20 of 29  -   Report This Post