CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jimb

13th April 2009, 17:57
Campanilla

Have just opened a pre-prandial bottle of Banrock Station Chardonnay to help oil the brain cells.

As a further stage of grasping at straws I include a list of 9 letter words that may have some vague protective qualities but, so far I have been unable to fit the clues to any. bedspread/carpeting/eiderdown/lampshade/sprinkler/underfelt/wallpaper. On top are ones previously suggested by others.
Fire.. guard, ..place ..grate ..alarm

Must go, glass needs recharging

21 of 29  -   Report This Post

campanilla

13th April 2009, 18:00
JaimeBe, my main man, what if we're reading it wrong? Try: Best friend comes round "the", close to give protection, and see if you can come up with anything, maybe to do with shutters or blinds or doors or gates or something?

Yous in desperation......
22 of 29  -   Report This Post

campanilla

13th April 2009, 18:06
Can't use bed, carpet, lamp, grate or eiderdown, all been used somewhere and they never use the same word twice.........
23 of 29  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

13th April 2009, 18:26
I have the same second word in both clues 1) & 33). The same word could also follow "sailing" or "rowing". Is that wrong?
24 of 29  -   Report This Post

campanilla

13th April 2009, 18:31
John, Rainbow never use the same word twice in a puzzle. No. 1 does follow sailing, etc. but 33., explain how you got it or I'll give you a hint if you like.
25 of 29  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

13th April 2009, 20:15
Sorry to be so long in coming back, I was busy in the kitchen.

I assumed that Browning was gravy so I put GRAVY BOAT. I did wonder about the similarity to clue 1), but have not done this puzzle before so I did not know about the non-repition of words.

A hint would be very helpful.
26 of 29  -   Report This Post

campanilla

13th April 2009, 20:26
Think of browning as an action + bread + where you would put the result. OK?

It takes a lot of getting used to and some of the answers are more cryptic than others which is why practically all of us are stuck on Nos. 19 & 94.
27 of 29  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

13th April 2009, 20:37
Sorry, I do not see the connection there. Also, how does it relate to 31) which I know is correct?
28 of 29  -   Report This Post

campanilla

13th April 2009, 21:08
John, the answers don't always follow on literally. For example, if you hsve the answers to 10/11, 14/15, 44/45, 71/72, you will see what I mean. But then again, the answers to 31/32 loosely do as do 57/58 and also 86/87. This is why it's sometimes such a hard puzzle to do and why those in "the other place" get so uptight when clues are given out.
29 of 29  -   Report This Post