CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

roof

27th April 2024, 15:53
Hi everyone

Finished in double quick time after doing the new quick cryptic first. I would have finished sooner if I could understand 19d, but I have an answer that I think will do.

My FOI was 11ac - not a word I knew, but my musical husband did know it when I asked him if he had ever heard of it. LOI 19d, though I wasn't sure about 22d either. Is it simply a double definition? Yes, lots of anagrams. I can see the Nina, but not sure of the last 5 letters.

CODs 17ac, 22ac, 25ac

Now I can get the washing in before it rains and maybe do some gardening.

Rocky, have you ever been to High Garden? It is open this week-end - a marvellous garden to visit near Kenton. Only open two weekends this year.

21 of 36  -   Report This Post

chrise

27th April 2024, 15:59
Hi roof
I didn't know the last five letters of the Nina either, but Google tells me it fits.
19 crossword "old city", then a word for "office" missing its first letter.
22 of 36  -   Report This Post

dhope

27th April 2024, 17:05
Yes a gentle but very welcome prize from my favourite compiler which is probably just right level after a delayed journey home from Australia via Dubai! FOI 8a, LOI 18a and COD 14a — brilliant.
Good to be back with my Guardian , although could do with some heat .
23 of 36  -   Report This Post

roof

27th April 2024, 17:07
Thanks Chris

19d That's what I thought, but it seemed a bit weak to me.
24 of 36  -   Report This Post

snowwhite

27th April 2024, 17:29
A real disappointment to have such an easy crossword again. Look forward to the Saturday challenge but that was frankly boring with no sense of satisfaction. Don't understand why they have a quick cryptic and other daily crosswords then need to make the Prize one so easy.

I guess crossword solvers are an older demographic and they are trying to attract younger, newer solvers.

Only nice bit was the Nina which we only saw when pointed out here.
25 of 36  -   Report This Post

jono

27th April 2024, 17:36
Snowwhite, if you’ve been doing Guardian puzzles for a while you may remember Arachne. Well, she sets the puzzle in the FT today (under a different name). Would recommend!
26 of 36  -   Report This Post

smot

27th April 2024, 17:56
It must be quite easy - I finished it! (Although it can be quite dispiriting to find others claiming it's a write-in when I've managed around 50% and feeling I'm on my to success with cryptics....)
27 of 36  -   Report This Post

dhope

27th April 2024, 19:26
Don’t be dispirited! There are obviously very experienced members of the forum who I am constantly in awe of but I welcome their hints and help . Their comments are often way above my level of comprehension but I use the forum as a learning experience. Never cease to be amazed at those who manage to finish over their morning coffee!
28 of 36  -   Report This Post

rocky7

27th April 2024, 23:15
Roof. Only just checking back in but thanks for that. I have heard of High Garden but never been. We're hob knobbing with my brother in the South Hams this weekend so I may have to wait until next time it's open.
29 of 36  -   Report This Post

jennaralissima

28th April 2024, 00:16
Would someone please explain 'nina' to me? I thought I knew what it was but looking at the solution I am none the wiser.
Thanks.
30 of 36  -   Report This Post