CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gitto

18th March 2024, 13:48
Suzzanah, these are 2 different types of clue.

13d answer is a single word, 9 letters long. It is thematic and therefore needs alteration for the entry.

22d is clued normally but has 2 redundant letters in the wordplay which contribute to the name of the character.
11 of 25  -   Report This Post

krauton

18th March 2024, 13:49
The instructions fail to mention that the letters which are unclued in the wordplay for the aross clues are also unclued in the wordplay for the down clues where they intersect.
12 of 25  -   Report This Post

suzannahj

18th March 2024, 13:49
Thanks Quisling! I've clearly missed something in that case. I'll go and have a look.
13 of 25  -   Report This Post

gitto

18th March 2024, 13:51
Quisling, you are correct - I was looking at 18d not 13d - sorry if I confused you Suzzanah!
14 of 25  -   Report This Post

eider

18th March 2024, 13:56
Thought this was a really fun one! Had the theme and “treatment” much quicker than usual- 36a, 40a and 18d were more or less the first clues I solved and they gave up the theme! The themes usually go over my Gen Z head but this was right up my street!
15 of 25  -   Report This Post

cruciluci

18th March 2024, 14:04
Seems like a fair few people had some issues with this, but I'm loving it!

Was recovering from surgery and I've never seen my boyfriend sprint over for a crossword till I said the thematic character aloud, only for him to reel off the altered entries without reference.
16 of 25  -   Report This Post

malone

18th March 2024, 15:58
Krauton, I thought the preamble was fair enough. It doesn't mention Across or Down clues. It simply says 'The letter in a single cell in each row is omitted from wordplay in relevant clues'. I felt this was enough to cover both the Across and the Down entry.

I enjoyed the puzzle and didn't encounter any hitches along the way.
17 of 25  -   Report This Post

granama1

19th March 2024, 07:12
I enjoyed this too and got a big grin when the theme became clear.

The reason for the 'treatment' of certain entries needed a bit of digging as I wasn't that familiar with the subject. 🤣
18 of 25  -   Report This Post

amej

19th March 2024, 19:32
Granama- any hints on the “treatment”? I think I have the character and the author but still have a lot of blanks in the grid! Many thanks AMEJ
19 of 25  -   Report This Post

granama1

20th March 2024, 06:43
Amej, if you delve into the Wikipedia information on the feline character you will find the only thing that scared him. Apply it to his friends (the actual clue answers indicate which friend is involved in each case).
20 of 25  -   Report This Post