CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jack aubrey

11th March 2024, 20:32
Later this week I will be having surgery on my right hand which may take up to 6 weeks to heal. Any advice on how I might engage cruciverbally in the meantime would be much welcomed. But a few weeks without doing a crossword is hardly the end of days.

Cooking, however, is a completely different matter. The kitchen has been my exclusive domain for so long that my wife is now seriously considering meal delivery options. Jings, crivvens and help ma boab!
1 of 16  -   Report This Post

chrise

11th March 2024, 20:45
best of luck, jack!

you could do online ones with one finger on the left hand?
2 of 16  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

11th March 2024, 23:00
In November I had major surgery (five hours, two metal plates, over 100 stitches) after near catastrophic dog bite on my right hand and arm - radius and ulna broken, wrist crushed. In hospital for 11 days as I had to wait 9 days before they could operate - by the third day I could write well enough to do the Listener with my left hand, albeit slowly as the drugs gave me brain fog 🤔. After all, there’s not much else to do! Have now recovered 80% use of my hand, thanks to Chris’s help and support. Crosswords can be a real life-saver!
3 of 16  -   Report This Post

rossim

12th March 2024, 09:47
Sounds horrific Simon. Glad they saved your arm ( but hopefully not the dog ).
Jack. As your wife seems reluctant to take up cooking maybe she could write in the answers for you!
Good luck with the surgery.
4 of 16  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

12th March 2024, 15:54
Simon that’s awful. I’m glad it ended relatively well. Any temptation I might have had to feel sorry for myself has been completely banished!
5 of 16  -   Report This Post

malone

12th March 2024, 16:23
Hi, Jack (I've always wanted to say/type that!)

I've just tried to write using my left hand and managed that better than I thought I would. I think you could fill in a grid... slowly and carefully.

As you are normally chief cook, I'd have expected you to plan ahead, buy ahead, cook ahead. Is there still time for you to fill the fridge and freezer with dishes that need only to be reheated?

Good luck with the surgery, and the post-op recovery.

SimpleSimon, your experience sounded a real ordeal.
6 of 16  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

12th March 2024, 17:25
Thanks for your kind words, and good luck with the surgery, Jack. What intrigued me was that my handwriting with my left hand was soon exactly the same as with my right hand.
7 of 16  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

12th March 2024, 17:26
PS: Make sure you do the physio!
8 of 16  -   Report This Post

jigjag

12th March 2024, 17:28
Simon

What a terrible experience. I must tell Cassie, a dog-lover. She mentioned at Christmas that she had not seen you for a while.

Best wishes for a full recovery.
9 of 16  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

12th March 2024, 17:34
Thanks Jigjag,
We mustn’t hijack (🤔😜) Jack’s thread - but we shall see you and other sundry pedants - hopefully drinking Camp coffee - on the other thread - still read it !
10 of 16  -   Report This Post