CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

alanfi

21st February 2024, 16:01
Only if they relate to different subjects.
11 of 35  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

21st February 2024, 16:02
Low Priority means there is a significant problem but it is not, at least yet, significantly affecting your operations.

( according to a Law site)
12 of 35  -   Report This Post

alanfi

21st February 2024, 16:04
If it is on different subjects, otherwise it is tautology
13 of 35  -   Report This Post

malone

21st February 2024, 16:06
I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree, alanfi. Your gripe barely makes it on to my personal Richter scale. Still, I wish you well in your pedantic endeavours.
14 of 35  -   Report This Post

darla

21st February 2024, 16:41
Well if we are going to be pedantic, then you mean redundancy, not tautology. A tautology is a logical proposition that is always true.
15 of 35  -   Report This Post

orson

21st February 2024, 16:51
I've already said something about this on the pedants thread.

There is such a word as "priorities". We must get our priorities right. So it is possible to have more than one priority and they need not all have the same level of importance. Therefore there can be a top priority.
16 of 35  -   Report This Post

malone

21st February 2024, 16:58
Not forgetting the very useful (and common) verb, prioritize/prioritise...
17 of 35  -   Report This Post

buddy

21st February 2024, 17:35
On all matters, Chambers Dictionary rules supreme; on this we can all surely disagree. Chambers gives:

a top priority :

most important thing, most urgent matter, matter of highest/greatest importance, main thing, supreme matter, first concern, primary issue, essential, requirement, pole position

colloquial top of the tree

The OED, possibly even more authoritative, has separate entries for "top priority" and "low priority". For top priority it gives:

Of the greatest importance.

with the first quotation from 1941.

18 of 35  -   Report This Post

alanfi

21st February 2024, 17:55
It is a tautology! A repetition of the same meaning in different words, especially the use of words unnecessary to the sense.
19 of 35  -   Report This Post

malone

21st February 2024, 18:08
I've found the dictionary stuff fascinating, alanfi - have you?
20 of 35  -   Report This Post