CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

6th January 2024, 15:15
Hi Eagle, if we ignore the theme word, the letters in the top row and the 27/31 reference completely… then I count 7 names, split across 12 grid entries.
Are we saying the same thing or are you seeing one more perhaps?
61 of 87  -   Report This Post

roof

6th January 2024, 18:40
Hi everyone

Well that was easy and yet interesting. Lots of lovely clues that had me smiling. I've finished and just read this thread, but I can't see the theme - something to do with writers I suspect or their heros. But it was all very enjoyable compared to last week's horror, for which I was grateful as I had a lot to do today.

I had trouble with a couple with unfamiliar GK, like 16d. I didn't do anything about Quarks when I did my chemistry A level, but Google helped. I didn't know 10ac either, but again Google confirmed; the same with 23d.

I am stuck on the parsing for 21d. Can anyone explain it?
I don't recognise the dictionary in 20ac
Thanks for explaining 19d.

My FOI was 29d, my LOI was 10ac. There were lots of lovely clues so it is hard to choose a COD, but I must include18ac, 8d, 9ac and 30ac
62 of 87  -   Report This Post

jono

6th January 2024, 18:46
Hi roof, I’ll try and explain 21d. “Not even” means subtract the even letters of the prior word, then there are three single letters, then Shakespeare’s prince.

The theme is musical rather than literary (it’s alluded to in one of the top row of down clues)…
63 of 87  -   Report This Post

jono

6th January 2024, 18:50
…in fact 21d is one of the theme, but it’s not the location, it’s a person
64 of 87  -   Report This Post

micky

6th January 2024, 19:29
Well, I found the crossword puzzle easier than usual (but still challenging enough to be very enjoyable) but then there was the second puzzle, about the theme, which I found more difficult. I have six names, seven if we count the initials in the top line (which I think we should). One of them I have never heard of, and would never have got without a combination of hints in this forum plus Google. All of the others I have heard of, but only two of them did I remember without searching. The ones I've got are the ones starting with 8, 16, 3, 22, 9, 21, and the top line initials. Any hints to the others would be welcome.

FOI 15, LOI 30. Contenders for COD were 21, 24, both of which have been mentioned by others. I also liked 2, which as far as I remember hasn't. I think I'll go for 21.

Qaos, if you read this then thank you for a very enjoyable puzzle.
65 of 87  -   Report This Post

a1philosopher

6th January 2024, 22:04
This was a great crossword. I like themed crosswords because they can lead you to explore stuff about which you are otherwise ignorant. They enlarge your world. Recent examples are birds and swords. I had finished the puzzle but was totally unaware of the theme until I had a look at this forum.
I hope this is not a spoiler, but but I think the thematic names are grouped as follows: (8, 13), (16,4), (9,22), (5, 6, 29), (21), (3, 12). They might be described, not entirely accurately, as (5, 30), which refers to a certain tradition of using music to explore religious themes. I wondered about (12,7) but it's a bit of a stretch.
(33,27) is great because it is an exemplar of how to derive the theme individuals, but also a misdirect because it points to literature rather than music.
Thank you Qaos
66 of 87  -   Report This Post

aicram

6th January 2024, 22:10
Exactly!
I have finished the puzzle.
Enjoyed it . But no idea of theme.
Can anyone give me the themed clues?
67 of 87  -   Report This Post

aicram

6th January 2024, 22:12
Oh. Jazz musicians?
68 of 87  -   Report This Post

geeker

6th January 2024, 22:14
Close, aicram...see 5d
69 of 87  -   Report This Post

micky

6th January 2024, 22:16
a1philosopher, do you really mean (9, 22) or is that a typo? I have 9 paired with another one, not far from 22, and 22 paired with another one, not far from it in the grid. Also (5, 6, 29)? If that is right then I have no idea why. I think your others are OK, though.
70 of 87  -   Report This Post