CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mattrom

13th December 2023, 19:23
Thanks to those who tackled this week's word. I appreciated the homophones from Tyke, Chrise's 'eros', and the 'ore' clues from paul 13 and aristo 19.
Geting, it's a pity Rosy had to be scratched, I was hoping she'd make a recovery.
I enjoyed Eeyore's adventures (agree with jono about the 'on'). Buddy's clever 19 raised a smile – is there a term for a word composed of the final letters of other words?
My short list included jono 6&17, paul 13, paulh 18, buddy 19 and aristo 20.
This week's winner is jono, for both clues, but (after checking definitions of 'rose') going with the more succinct reverse composite

English paragon rising to meet the old horror

Well done, jono! Here are your prizes
Some lucky escapes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HERs2XE4fUI
Opinion is divided about these amongst my profession
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXU3t6-Drqs

Cheers
21 of 37  -   Report This Post

tyke51

13th December 2023, 19:36
Another good one Jono - well done! Enjoyed the clips Mattrom - I like our `Shard` but not fussed about the `Gherkin` 🥒 - appreciate the mention!
22 of 37  -   Report This Post

jono

13th December 2023, 19:50
Many thanks Mattrom, a nice surprise (did I mention it’s my birthday!) 😊

I wasn’t entirely happy with the Eeyore clue which I’ve rewritten several times subsequently, but I’m sure there’s a better clue in there somewhere.

I can see the Shard from my window and there is quite a Christmas light show going on at the moment.

Cheers all… PR follows.
Ttfn!
23 of 37  -   Report This Post

chrise

13th December 2023, 19:54
congats jono and thanks mattrom, also for the mention
mmm - could i have a parse of the winner, please?

when i lived in camberwell back in the 70s i met someone who rembered watching the crystal palace burn down in crystal palace park - it had been dismantled in hyde park and moved there after the great exhibition in 1850something. i always wondered how cast iron and glass burned!
24 of 37  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

13th December 2023, 20:11
Well done, jono, and thanks, mattrom. Glad to have made your shortlist.
25 of 37  -   Report This Post

buddy

13th December 2023, 20:26
congrats jono & thanks for the shortlisting mattrom, I nominate "sterncrostic", or colloquially, "buttcrostic" for a last-letters clue.
26 of 37  -   Report This Post

geting

13th December 2023, 20:26
Congratulations Jono and Happy Birthday. Thanks Mattrom. I too am sorry that I couldn't revive Rosy. As for the clips, I'm quite a fan of modern architecture
27 of 37  -   Report This Post

buddy

13th December 2023, 20:29
chris, jono parses the clue in his entry at #6
28 of 37  -   Report This Post

chrise

13th December 2023, 20:48
thanks buddy, i missed that.

still puzzled though - why does rose=paragon? google tells me it's a range of victoriana china!
29 of 37  -   Report This Post

buddy

13th December 2023, 20:51
Chambers says a rose is "a paragon." (noun def. 4)
30 of 37  -   Report This Post