CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

buddy

4th December 2023, 00:11
...or "published", if appearing on the Internet doesn't quite count. The puzzle will be up at midnight UK time in Big Dave's Rookie Corner (Puzzle #503).

https://bigdave44.com/category/crosswords/rookie-corner/

Contributors to the clue-writing contests on this site may recognize a few of the clues, but for the most part it's all new.

One of my testers compared it in difficulty to a midweek Guardian, and another referred to it as "a dog's breakfast", which I understand is a compliment in several of the more obscure Finno-Ugric dialects.

At any rate, if you finish with the Guardian Genius early, and want to have a go at it, please do. No need to comment on it here as that is what the comments section of the Rookie Corner is for.

Thank you for your time and attention.
1 of 13  -   Report This Post

darla

4th December 2023, 01:38
Congrats, buddy. Enjoyed it.
2 of 13  -   Report This Post

geeker

4th December 2023, 01:57
Thanks, I enjoyed it. Took somewhat longer than a typical Guardian daily, but I often struggle with unfamiliar setters. ;-)
3 of 13  -   Report This Post

jono

4th December 2023, 07:17
Nice work Buddy. Good to a recent Clueless winning entry getting a second outing.
4 of 13  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th December 2023, 10:19
congrats buddy. i had a quick look, but found it difficult to operate with my cat on my lap! i'll try again when she has moved off.
5 of 13  -   Report This Post

buddy

4th December 2023, 11:54
chris, how big is your cat? Thanks for comments so far. (Really just giving this a bump.)
6 of 13  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th December 2023, 12:07
[buddy - quite small but inconveniently placed. i can only use one finger on one hand to type....]
7 of 13  -   Report This Post

darla

4th December 2023, 17:47
Hope you don't mind me commenting here, but I wanted to say that one thing I really noticed and liked was your hidden indicators. Not the run-of-the-mill. Unlike the comments on your puzzle there though, not a fan of "it" as sex, but that's just a matter of preference. I did have 17 as one of my favorites - very clever. Also particularly liked 24a and 28a. The entry at 20 was not a word I knew, but wordplay was clear. 18 was sneaky, in a good way. I did spot the few contest entries. Overall, definitely Guardian cryptic level difficulty. Well done!
8 of 13  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th December 2023, 19:27
finished it, but found it hard - harder than a typical guardian prize. not a clean solve - i revealed a couple of letters to give me a clue.

favourite 13a. i was thrown by 18d (where the letter reveals were needed) - shouldn't it be two words?
9 of 13  -   Report This Post

buddy

4th December 2023, 19:36
Yes, the commenters on BD's site noted 18 should be clued as (3-5). I note that some puzzles include hyphens in letter counts but others do not, so I wasn't sure what to do (next time I will include hyphens!)
10 of 13  -   Report This Post