CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

25th November 2023, 07:29
Not too tricky I thought. “Divorce hub” went over my head. Enjoyed seeing 13a, I was reminded of Penda who undertook the “sieve” and whose contributions to the forum I miss.

Unrelated to this puzzle, but I was impressed by that reverse hidden from Fed yesterday, did you see it?
11 of 45  -   Report This Post

rocky7

25th November 2023, 08:20
The west went in almost without a pause but I have somewhat stalled on the East. Can I just ask if 13a is a name of someone? Because if it is I don't think it's someone I know and I can't make head nor tale of what the clue is trying to say.
12 of 45  -   Report This Post

jono

25th November 2023, 08:27
Rocky, yes, an old Greek chap, the “sieve” is mathematical
13 of 45  -   Report This Post

rocky7

25th November 2023, 08:29
Looks like I shall have to Google it then. Thanks Jono.
14 of 45  -   Report This Post

chrise

25th November 2023, 08:55
Helpful start - 1a, 1d, and 15d straight in.

Several clues that made me smile - 10a, 22a, and 10d amongst others.

Puzzled by the "tiny" in 2d. It seems both unnecessary and inaccurate.
15 of 45  -   Report This Post

chrise

25th November 2023, 08:59
btw I knew 13a from an old SF novel by Frederick Pohl called Drunkard's Walk. Two of the protagonists are maths teachers, and one makes up mnemonic rhymes. One stuck with me:
Count the twos, count th threes, the sieve of.......
16 of 45  -   Report This Post

rocky7

25th November 2023, 09:16
On the gentler side today but none the worse for it. Thanks Imogen for some great clues. Just a couple of words I didn't know. Can anyone explain how 24a parses?

COD 10d or 12a.
17 of 45  -   Report This Post

brendan

25th November 2023, 09:21
Hi Rocky,

24a - the last 3 letters need to be split 1,2 for "naked".
18 of 45  -   Report This Post

norah (admin)

25th November 2023, 09:29
DUPLICATE THREAD BY ROGISSIMO

Two threads were started at exactly same time, Rogissimo’s thread did not have any replies so I have copied and pasted the text here. :

Imogen flattered me to deceive with this one. NW corner went in very quickly, and I was beginning to think it would take no time at all, but then it all got distinctly chewier. Some rather recondite GK (for me at least), but in fact all gettable from the cryptic fodder, and I’ve learnt a thing or two (one of which I will certainly forget), so all in all a good workout. Thanks to Imogen.

19 of 45  -   Report This Post

brendan

25th November 2023, 09:35
Many thanks Norah 👍

Chris@13, I've also got a book called The Drunkards Walk by Leonard Mlodinow about how the laws of probability impact our daily lives.

It's a terrific read if you haven't already come across it.
20 of 45  -   Report This Post