CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

25th November 2023, 00:56
A thoroughly enjoyable Prize puzzle from Imogen which I found to be pretty accessible, helped by some long anagrams, but still containing a few very knotty clues!

If you do get stuck, there is at least one hidden in both the acrosses and downs.

FOI was 1a followed by the crossing 1d.

There are still 3 clues I can't fully parse, namely 13a. 20a and 22a - although I think that last one might just be a DD.

COD - a tie this week between the unusual &lit/anagram at 4d and the clever 10d.

Let us know in the comments how you got on.

Thanks to Imogen for a fun workout.

Stay safe:-)

1 of 45  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

25th November 2023, 00:59
Sorry, brendan (and all) - your post must have appeared just before I pressed send on mine. I hope the admins can do a merge thing.
2 of 45  -   Report This Post

brendan

25th November 2023, 01:06
No problem Rogissimo, the same thing happened to me a few weeks ago - I'll email Norah to let her know .

I think we both had a similar solving experience with some clues going in easily but others proving to be a bit more difficult .
3 of 45  -   Report This Post

geeker

25th November 2023, 01:13
I've always struggled with Imogen's puzzles. Thanks to her for a relatively rare Prize appearance.
Found this about average difficulty, but many good and enjoyable clues.
FOI 5, LOI 10a.
No single COD, but joint favo(u)rites 22, 13, 10d, 24 and 18. Seven others made the "long list", which is a good sign.
4 of 45  -   Report This Post

geeker

25th November 2023, 01:19
Brendan, 22a is a dd, with the 2nd having a slang prefix beloved by crossword setters.
20a parses as 3, 4, 2 where the 3 is a (4 with a letter dropped).
I also have trouble parsing 13a. The solution is obvious, I see "inspiring figure" and "later" but the rest unclear.
5 of 45  -   Report This Post

brendan

25th November 2023, 01:20
Just figured out the wordplay for 13a:-)

That just leaves 20a though I think I am sure of my answer 🤔
6 of 45  -   Report This Post

brendan

25th November 2023, 01:23
Thanks Geeker,

The. "French art" is very popular in barred puzzles and is their version of (though) "art"
7 of 45  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

25th November 2023, 01:25
geeker - you need to use the ‘apostrophe s after ‘inspiring figure’ and then a bit of French at the end.
8 of 45  -   Report This Post

geeker

25th November 2023, 01:30
Thanks, I see it now. That occurred to me but I didn't develop the idea.
9 of 45  -   Report This Post

geeker

25th November 2023, 01:45
Apologies to Imogen, who I referred to as "her".
Less than two weeks ago, I discovered that Imogen and Vulcan are the same (male) setter...

https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/crossword-blog/2020/dec/07/crossword-blog-meet-the-setter-vulcan

Signing off here to avoid further stupidities. 🤣
10 of 45  -   Report This Post