CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paulhabershon

10th November 2023, 19:41
buddy @38
'We suffer from the lack of a common language'.

This is a quote from my teacher of English at an American school where I was an exchange student for two terms (actually just over one semester). He had asked the meaning of 'fecund' and I had replied 'fertile', only to be met with a blank look. Eventually he realised I had got it right. Ah! You mean 'furtle' (spelt 'fertile').

The R is the problem. We do not hear it in Starmer, nor in fertile, nor in marmalade. So Spoonerisms can be a problem in our competitions here.
41 of 48  -   Report This Post

buddy

10th November 2023, 19:49
Got it. Thanks.
42 of 48  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th November 2023, 19:55
not all of us over here ignore the "r"s!
43 of 48  -   Report This Post

tyke51

10th November 2023, 20:50
Larva Lava

2 words I pronounce the same - others may not!

Considering the global reach of the forum I don't think we have too many problems!
44 of 48  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th November 2023, 21:11
yes, i would pronounce larva and lava differently
45 of 48  -   Report This Post

paul

10th November 2023, 21:52
Well done Mattrom -back where you belong. Thanks Jon - tricky given the lack of scope with the Def. Cheers for the vote Chris. Much appreciated since I noticed later that our clues jad the same word breakdowns!
46 of 48  -   Report This Post

mattrom

11th November 2023, 00:18
Oh gosh! I wasn't expecting that a Spoonerism would get any votes, given their unpopularity, and the problems with different pronunciations around the world. I almost added a note that it wouldn't work across the Pacific, because of the "R". Thanks to Paulh for his earlier replies, - and your vote. I also appreciated the votes from Paul and Tyke, and Dorrien's mention.
Thanks , Jono, for the challenge and the music. I see what you mean about the definition, though I wasn't seeing it a being centrally placed. I was originally going to post ".... prepared Spooner's breakfast ...". I changed it at the last minute, but it may have been preferable.
Remembrance Day here, just past the eleventh hour.
Till next week.
47 of 48  -   Report This Post

darla

11th November 2023, 18:19
I heard this when I was a kid:

What did the duckling say when he saw his first colored Easter egg?

“Ooh, look at the orange marmalade.”
48 of 48  -   Report This Post