CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rocky7

29th October 2023, 01:58
Fairly standard Everyman today. On the easier side I'd say and all the usual traits but no spoonerism and I can't see a rhyming pair.

COD 11a because it caused me some amusement when I finally worked out the first word.

1 of 27  -   Report This Post

rainman

29th October 2023, 01:13
I found some of this quite tricky, but obviously a gentle stroll compared to this week's Prize. No rhyming pairs, but two of the long clues are linked instead. I think Everyman's done that before. I think my COD would be 7d, which may not be as elegant as some but is very cleverly put together.
2 of 27  -   Report This Post

geeker

29th October 2023, 01:33
Thanks to Everyman.
I thought this was a good one, slightly more difficult than usual, though without all the common trademarks.
My COD is 26. 7 was on the list of contenders along with 25, 6 and 19.

On close inspection there is a rhyming pair, though I'm not sure it was intended as a trademark item. In the lower right corner: the two words definitely have a shared final letter, at least... :-)
3 of 27  -   Report This Post

ianwil

29th October 2023, 08:35
Having had to study 7d for O-level (shows my age! ) I agree with “uninspiring”!
4 of 27  -   Report This Post

fitzrover

29th October 2023, 09:30
I also found this a relatively easy Everyman. Specifically, I immediately saw the answers to a number of the clues simply from the definition and few crossers when usually I don't.

I found the SE corner most challenging - I'd say those clues were more typical of Everyman.

My COD is 20a for being both precise and succinct.
5 of 27  -   Report This Post

neko99

29th October 2023, 10:21
Raced through much of this today. But stuck on the north east corner. Totally stumped by 9a, the clue of which I cannot understand.
Are we looking for a currency? Is it the one mentioned in the clue?
Any gentle hints will be most welcome.
6 of 27  -   Report This Post

jono

29th October 2023, 10:24
Hi Neko, currency is part of the wordplay, it parses 1,4
7 of 27  -   Report This Post

neko99

29th October 2023, 10:24
Thank you Jono!
8 of 27  -   Report This Post

jono

29th October 2023, 10:25
…and no, it’s not a German one
9 of 27  -   Report This Post

drjax

29th October 2023, 10:58
Having spent the first part of today finishing off yesterday’s tricky prize, I was pleased this was a gentler affair. I was held up by putting the wrong answer in 23 as I originally put a word that you would normally associate with an abrupt drop or cliff face which I erroneously also considered to be a split (of the sort made by yesterday’s theme) until I realised my spelling mistake - doh! My COD was also 9 as I couldn’t believe how long it took me to get the first word despite having surmised what ‘total’ referred to quite quickly!
10 of 27  -   Report This Post