CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

kirky

26th October 2023, 09:04
2 endings for 3d?
1 of 14  -   Report This Post

jadzia49

26th October 2023, 10:46
Yes, I agree.
2 of 14  -   Report This Post

will37

26th October 2023, 10:59
Yes, and both endings appear on the specific page of Chambers to which Doc alludes. I'm going with the verb. It seems to be the headword from which the adjective derives.

I'm glad to have found that page as it confirms the unusual ending for 21d.
3 of 14  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

26th October 2023, 14:57
I'm afraid no amount of grid-staring, finding possibilities for the thematic entries etc is leading me to the relevant Chambers page. The only connection I can see between the possibilities is their country of origin. A nudge in the right direction would be much appreciated.
4 of 14  -   Report This Post

malone

26th October 2023, 15:05
My Chambers has some special pages...
5 of 14  -   Report This Post

will37

26th October 2023, 15:05
I have 3 editions of Chambers of varying ages but I have found the relevant page only in the most recent of them (2016). You're right that country of origin is key.
6 of 14  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

26th October 2023, 19:14
Thank you Malone and Will37. That gives me something to work on when I go back to it tomorrow.
7 of 14  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

27th October 2023, 06:29
It looks as though I don't have the right edition of Chambers. My latest is 2011. A trip to the nearest Waterstones is called for tomorrow.
8 of 14  -   Report This Post

malone

27th October 2023, 07:48
I've just read that all the words (less one little alternative spelling) are in the earlier editions - but not on a special page. I can't remember if there are enough crossing letters in the unclued entries to make guessing, deducing possible.
9 of 14  -   Report This Post

cockie

27th October 2023, 12:00
Luckily I was born in, and still live in, the area where these words are, if not commonplace, at least weel-kent. But the difficulty some solvers are having raises a point which some setters seem to ignore (or to be unaware of). The current Chambers is the 13th or 14th - I used to have them going back to the Mid-Century Edition, but have given old versions to children, grand-children, and at least two libraries. One literally fell apart. Similarly Bradford. I have the ODQ back to the first edition. My point is that a setter may refer to the version on his/her shelves and be unaware that other editions may not have the same reference. It's the crossword editor's job to make sure that unplanned difficulties which the setter has inadvertently overlooked don't make life harder for the solver - the customer, after all. This is made harder when the setter is also the editor. I know that when the Listener's editors set puzzles the other editor sharpens his antennae (sorry about the mixed metaphor) accordingly. Does Doc have a co-editor here?
10 of 14  -   Report This Post