CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dormouses

9th August 2023, 07:29
If it helps, I think I've solved all but one of the across solutions but struggled a lot more on the downs - I have 6 confident answers and another couple that I'm not too sure of. It makes me wonder if I am missing a theme or trick specific to the down clues that would explain why I can't fit the answers I've got into the grid. My answer to 17D does fit with all the across answers though which is confusing! Has anyone tried it yet?
11 of 22  -   Report This Post

quisling

9th August 2023, 09:28
I’ve had a look at this. Have solutions for all but one of the acrosses and all but one of the downs. A couple are questionable. Missing 21a, 3d. Happy to post them if you want.

As for the theme and entry method, no idea. Wonder if 8d is significant. “Serious-minded chap lost team captain” (6). Wordplay seems to give SOBER(SIDE)S, but captain is an oddly partial definition of the great Sir Garfield.
12 of 22  -   Report This Post

quisling

9th August 2023, 09:51
I have 21a now, 3d left
13 of 22  -   Report This Post

quisling

9th August 2023, 16:08
Ok, dormouses, I have a full set of answers, just one with a slight question mark (19a), but I’m also at a loss how to enter. They can’t just be jumbles, and partial reversals and cycling don’t work. I’ll keep pondering
14 of 22  -   Report This Post

drxx

9th August 2023, 17:22
I've tracked down three threads for this puzzle on AB - one of them is very detailed/generous and will spoil things if you're trying to solve it for real.
However, there was a preamble attached to the original puzzle, so it is only fair that you have a rough translation of that -

Solve the clues normally, look for a set of consecutive letters for a tree. There are 25 theme words, 3 are used twice.

The puzzle's title was REAFFORESTATION, I believe.
15 of 22  -   Report This Post

quisling

9th August 2023, 17:25
That’s very kind, drxx. Thank you
16 of 22  -   Report This Post

dormouses

9th August 2023, 18:46
i would never have got that in a million years - to me, that's deep deep cricket knowledge!
17 of 22  -   Report This Post

dormouses

9th August 2023, 18:47
That is amazing! thank you so much, your efforts are very much appreciated. I will have a go at it tonight
18 of 22  -   Report This Post

drxx

9th August 2023, 21:00
I'm struggling with my final tree, which doesn't seem to fit my answer at 11a - can someone please give me a hint for the clue answer there?
I should also clarify that there's a thematic tree for every answer - 28 in all, with 3 of the trees repeated..
19 of 22  -   Report This Post

buddy

9th August 2023, 21:05
I saw it as a well known punk rocker with A R inside.
20 of 22  -   Report This Post