CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jogamel

1st July 2023, 15:09
Come to a halt. Help please with 14a: piles of buildings materials also unlimited when filling trenches (9) I have ?AN?HEA?S
Also 23a: solid performance taking advantage in quiet spot (11, two words) I have SO????H?DOW
1 of 35  -   Report This Post

malone

1st July 2023, 15:16
Jogamel, I think these are Sandheaps and Sound Shadow.
2 of 35  -   Report This Post

jogamel

1st July 2023, 15:38
Heaps of thanks ( I had guessed that) and had a shadow of a doubt about the other. Still struggling with the outside columns and the poet. Onward…..
3 of 35  -   Report This Post

malone

1st July 2023, 15:41
Jogamel, thanks. My answers are often.... semi guesses when it come sto Ifor!
4 of 35  -   Report This Post

fgsltw

1st July 2023, 20:45
Nearly finished grid, think I have the poet but need help. Can anyone help with 1d Elder watches so getting up earlier in the middle of the day! ??STE And 12a batter opening before logjam is spotted blocking ?MI?S
5 of 35  -   Report This Post

drxx

1st July 2023, 21:05
1d waits for 'watches' (archaic) [then move the 's' for another archaic 'middle of the day' - but it's a common enough word].
12 the 'batter' is a famous old cricketer - he's in the clue.
6 of 35  -   Report This Post

fgsltw

2nd July 2023, 05:29
Thank you drxx , any hints re the 15 cells to highlight? Can’t see any useful words.
7 of 35  -   Report This Post

muraria

2nd July 2023, 05:57
The 15 are 3x5 non words that use the same letters of a word in the quotation. The top and bottom 5-letter lines use the same letters.
8 of 35  -   Report This Post

drxx

2nd July 2023, 09:17
fgsltw - best avoid the very tempting possibility of making words with 'w' in them.
9 of 35  -   Report This Post

lm22

2nd July 2023, 10:24
I have a full grid. I’m struggling with the extra 5-letter spaces at the top and bottom of the grid. Am I to deduce the letters myself by making complete words vertically or am I to find the missing letters somewhere else?

I have no idea what to look for or where to look in terms of quotations… I have found a poem by B.F about freedom of press but don’t think that’s it…

I also cannot parse 13Ac and thus don’t have the superfluous word to put with my other three extra words. As such I’m struggling to find the related 3-letter synonym. Any hints, helps, nudges would be greatly appreciated :)
10 of 35  -   Report This Post