CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

29th June 2023, 22:13
Thanks, Klazo. I remember huffing and puffing as I put in several of the entries, muttering 'well, that doesn't really work, but...' I think I'd also tired of there being a little spate of ambiguities over the past year, that used to be an extremely rare occurrence. I'd love a return to the good old days, when there was one definitive solution to a puzzle! I didn't always get the definitive solution, but that did't even matter if it was a puzzle I could admire.
31 of 37  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

1st July 2023, 21:18
I’m trying to figure out what’s meant by ambiguities in this thread. The puzzle seemed straightforward. I filled in the grid with no question marks for any of the clues, so I’m wondering if I’m missing something.

I’ve been wondering where you’ve been, ginge!
32 of 37  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

2nd July 2023, 07:38
Aristo hello

Klazo mentions ambiguity regarding 'rotate' which he feels is wrong as he says this refers to 'going forward'.
Well, rotate usually means going forward; however in rhis instance the answer is correct as it appears in the grid 'in reverse'
A very subtle joke in my view.......
33 of 37  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

2nd July 2023, 08:17
PS " Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better but the frog dies in the process.” E B White

I'll get my coat .........
34 of 37  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

2nd July 2023, 09:06
Ginge....
Thanks for the hint.
I noticed the 'chess move' in the puzzle after I had completed the grid. :)
35 of 37  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

2nd July 2023, 13:13
Thank you, Miss Jazz.
E.B. White lived just across the water from me, on Blue Hill Peninsula. The hill itself can be seen even from the mainland ferry landing, with our island in the way!
36 of 37  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

2nd July 2023, 13:21
Good morning Aristo
Thank you for that snippet of information.
I have just found some lovely pics of the historic house on 470 Bay Road in Brooklin, Maine.
I must read more on this writer.
37 of 37  -   Report This Post