CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

roof

11th December 2022, 16:49
Mickey... I got it but couldn't parse it for some time, despite knowing the word for safe.

I'm back as I still haven't finished. I'm not sure about an answer for 20d and haven't got 24ac and 21d. 26ac was a new word for me. Are my crossers right? More hints please.
20d QU??T?N
24ac ??R??? I've been playing with Aire and Ra, but to no avail
21d N?? ?A?S Is the first word "nut"? I can't think of words that would reverse the last five letters and make sense.
51 of 61  -   Report This Post

geeker

11th December 2022, 16:53
roof, crossers correct in 20d. Write 16a after the word, should supply a hint.

24: building block is not a deity but a "spirit". I had to Google.
52 of 61  -   Report This Post

geeker

11th December 2022, 16:54
21d crossers are correct. It's a thematic, doesn't follow grammatical rules. Parses as a reversed slang term (which I didn't know either!).
53 of 61  -   Report This Post

roof

11th December 2022, 17:09
Hi Geeker

Why didn't I check the Eygptian spirit sooner? I now have the answer to 24ac. I had a 24 moment. I think I have the answer to 20d. I have to work a bit more on 21d, but I may just have had a PDM. I've never heard of these 16s, but I've just googled them. They are spicy so I would never have eaten them.

My Foi was 10ac closely followed by 14ac and 9d (though I still can't parse that "w"). My LOI wa 21d and my COD is 9d, followed by 13ac and 15d

54 of 61  -   Report This Post

luko

11th December 2022, 19:05
Roof, I think 9d parses as a type of vermin folloewing hidden instruction in the clue, followed by ‘heart of satan’ and 3-letter ‘get’ - no W left on. It’s own!

A fierce one today, I made v slow progress (my excuse is that I’ve finally succumbed with my first positive Covid test on Friday, although it just feels like a bad cold). Got stuck several times and picked it up again after breaks and Everyman. Completely stuck with the SE corner until ,someone here talked about a ‘24A moment’ and the last few fell into place.

Thanks Paul, and thanks to all here
55 of 61  -   Report This Post

luko

11th December 2022, 20:52
Plenty of COD candidates, I think 20d just pips 13a.
As the uk bias in the theme , how many London and other boroughs do you think I tried before I sussed 19 A?
56 of 61  -   Report This Post

brendan

11th December 2022, 21:06
Same here Luko, and it was only after solving 22d that I started to look further afield:-)
57 of 61  -   Report This Post

feebee

11th December 2022, 23:25
Thanks again for all the hints. I found it hard to get going, very late getting the theme. Quite a few I can’t fully parse and still 3 remaining.

Despite earlier clues I can’t see an answer for 10a or 12a. My crossers are _N/_N and _T_H_E respectively. Please can I have another hint or two.

The last one is 22d. I have an Indian state that fits but can’t understand the wordplay.

58 of 61  -   Report This Post

brendan

11th December 2022, 23:31
Hi Feebee,

10a - answer is hidden in the clue.

12a - the "one recovering" (could be anyone bringing something back) minus its first letter/"missed header" - definition is "scorer" (think of designs on metal or glass)

22d - An American "state" - 4 letter "Middle Eastern port" reversed goes around 2 letter "Virginia".
59 of 61  -   Report This Post

feebee

12th December 2022, 10:00
Thanks Brendan.
Can’t believe I couldn’t see 10!
12 came once I corrected 4 down - can’t parse it though.

The Middle East port is a new one on me.

Glad to have it all filled in but another confirmation that I’m not on Paul’s wavelength. 😊
60 of 61  -   Report This Post