CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

13th August 2022, 12:47
It’s funny Brendan, because half the time I don’t even know where I’ve left my glasses 😂
31 of 84  -   Report This Post

debsie

13th August 2022, 13:26
So I’ve managed to log in for the first time!
Love this forum but currently stuck on the SE corner so additional clues would be welcome. Thank you
32 of 84  -   Report This Post

brendan

13th August 2022, 13:34
Welcome Debsie:-)

27a - double definition - one is "get" (as in 'understand') and the other "bit of ash" (the tree)

21d - the outside 2 letters are "extremely offensive" and they go around a famous "Day" (a person) - definition is "perfume" as a verb

25d - whole clue is the definition - 1 letter "person's bottom" + anagram/wobbly

Hope that helps
33 of 84  -   Report This Post

debsie

13th August 2022, 13:44
Thank you!
Can’t believe I didn’t get the ‘Day’.

Just left with 24a and 14a

I got 9d (fairly early on) but haven’t fully parsed it but it will come to me.
34 of 84  -   Report This Post

jossyp

13th August 2022, 14:19
Very proud of myself and partner Max (who's new to cryptic crosswords). We decided to do it on Saturday again, to join in with this group.
I'm delighted to say we've now finished it.
Needed help from Google etc. but didn't need to read or ask for hints from here.
Yes, I would also add my vote to request that you continue Brendan.
35 of 84  -   Report This Post

janeiro

13th August 2022, 14:39
I don’t contribute often and have just returned from a 3 week holiday to celebrate a big birthday, a mere 2 years after the event! As a result I’ve had an enforced break from puzzles of all sorts, but am horrified to read that you might not continue this forum, Brendan. I’ve learned so much from all the contributors since I discovered it and, though I long for the day when I can complete a prize without recourse to your hints, I’m a long way off yet! Curiously my first one in today was 1a as you see it a lot at this time of year in France. Struggling with SW corner currently - not helped by the heat. Thanks to all
36 of 84  -   Report This Post

smot

13th August 2022, 14:57
And here's another vote to stay with your hints, Brendan. Although Paul is usually an "oh no" for me, I do give them a go, and the gentle help here is often one way I get past an almost empty grid.
Everyman and Cyclops (Eye) are my usual level.

37 of 84  -   Report This Post

geeker

13th August 2022, 15:03
Brendan, I know the word 1, but have almost never encountered it outside crosswords. Perhaps in the work of P. G. Wodehouse, but I can't recall; it certainly seems like a word he'd use (w. UK spelling, of course).
38 of 84  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

13th August 2022, 15:14
Pretty hard but with a lot of looking at 7 manufacturer's page on wikipedia I got there. Last one in 12A for some reason.

I liked 19, 21, 22, 26 and 29 best I think. I'll make 22 my COD.

Words I had not heard of before, but got from the wordplay: 1 (although I remember it from another crossword or a discussion here, with the other spelling), 15, 20 and 25.

Didn't have to use a missing letters solver today, but obvs wikipedia was helpful for the 7s.
39 of 84  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

13th August 2022, 15:31
PS another vote for Brendan to stick at it, I did not see where he asked us to vote, I would have voted carry on though, so it wouldn't have been a tie ;)
40 of 84  -   Report This Post