CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rocky7

11th June 2022, 20:16
OK all done. Appreciate the cleverness of this puzzle but can't say it was particularly enjoyable for me. But thanks to Picaroon for clearly putting the effort in.

I found last week's much easier unlike some here.

FOI 10a. LOI 15d. COD 18a for some strange reason. When I got that I got the whole thing a bit better.
51 of 73  -   Report This Post

roof

11th June 2022, 20:21
Ah PDS, I knew the right native American because of a series of detective stories I've read.

All done except for four. Unfortunately two of them are 8 down and 13 across. Have I got the right crossers?
13a ?H?L???E?S?
8d ?R?E? ??T?E?

I could do with some hints for 17d and 21 ac.

I'm beginning to suspect that the theme is of things of which I've never heard. I can see no connection between any of the answers I've got. Are they all beers or spirits?
52 of 73  -   Report This Post

brendan

11th June 2022, 20:31
Thanks Roof,

Speaking of detective stories, I've just this evening finished a re-read of Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz which I can thoroughly recommend.

13a - Your E is wrong.
8d - All correct

17d - The "two classical sextets" refer to a number in a classical language that is repeated/two and then 2 letter "faintly disheartened" - definition is "energise" (a new word to me)

21a - 2 letter "partner once" + 2 letter "personal charm" - definition is "going out"
53 of 73  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

11th June 2022, 20:38
You'll see the theme when you get 8D I think. I mentioned a Latvian earlier which is first 4 of the second word of that. You'll definitely know about the theme... (I mentioned I studied maths earlier which is another hint).

Don't think of an anorak as a coat is my hint for that one anyway. More like a circus entertainer whose act involves biting the heads off of live animals ;)
54 of 73  -   Report This Post

brendan

11th June 2022, 20:42
Roof, 3d, which gives you the incorrect E you had in 13a, is an anagram.
55 of 73  -   Report This Post

roof

11th June 2022, 20:54
Hi Brendan

I thought it might be, which means I have to revisit 3d! I thought it was an angram of "in ocean" with another letter. I'm trying a "G".

Thanks for hint for 21 ac. Got that now.

....and minutes later got 17d.

This still leaves me with 8d and 13ac. If my G is right for 3d, then there is only one word that fits, but I can't see the theme,

I've read Magpie Murders. Yes, it was quite good. I've just read a great book called American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins. I'd thoroughly recommend it.
56 of 73  -   Report This Post

brendan

11th June 2022, 21:06
Thanks for the recommendation Roof, I have book token so will get the audio book and let you know how I get on with it.

3d - Yes, ends in a G

8d - refers to the theme - the key is "13 characters" - there are actually 24 in total but only 13 appear in the grid. First word is 4 letter "anorak" think 'nerd' - a bit harsh, I know) and that goes around single letter "queen" the the second word is 4 letter European (Latvian) _ 2 letter "queen"

13a - the G is the 3rd letter of a general term for a piece of "wood" and that goes inside an anagram/fancy of 2 words in the clue
57 of 73  -   Report This Post

teacher

11th June 2022, 21:10
This forum is so useful every week so I thought Iā€™d register to post now.

As a new poster, I was very grateful to see others say they were struggling with this one. I have found this week much harder than previous weeks. Still not finished, but have made good progress. It helped to finally get 8d and 13a, but they were much later for me.

Anyway, just to say, I love to see all your posts every week, and it is such a help to see what others are thinking!
58 of 73  -   Report This Post

brendan

11th June 2022, 21:15
Welcome to the Forum Teacher.

I agree, it's often so helpful, (and at times consoling šŸ˜‚) to read how others are getting with the same puzzle. We look forward to hearing from you soon:-)
59 of 73  -   Report This Post

rocky7

11th June 2022, 21:59
Teacher welcome. Last week when the forum was down I was a lost man. Good to have you on board.

60 of 73  -   Report This Post