CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

11th June 2022, 00:26
Thanks to Picaroon, one of my favorite setters, for an artfully crafted thematic Prize this week. Greatly enjoyed solving it, though it's one of the least difficult Prizes in recent memory (IMO) and singularly easy by Picaroon's standards.
FOI 5a, wrote in quite a few clues at first, things slowed down in the middle and picked back up at the end. Only noticed the theme about 2/3 of the way through, and didn't find theme knowledge critical to finishing.
COD 8 for obvious reasons 🤣over 4 and 6. 14 new to me but clear from parsing. After filling in the grid I reviewed the solutions in light of the big thematic clue, and was impressed by Picaroon's ingenuity. A number of thematic entries are well hidden!
1 of 73  -   Report This Post

brendan

11th June 2022, 01:04
Thank you Geeker, I was slowly going round the twist trying to fathom why 8d refers to "thirteen characters", then I saw your mention of a theme and the light dawned 😲

FOI were 6a and 9a but, like you say, it could have been any of quite a few of the 'low-hanging fruit'.

If you do get stuck there is at least one long anagram in both the acrosses and downs.

14d was a new term for me but it's in Chambers so no complaints.

I can't fully parse 22a - I can see the "ambassador" and "honour" but not the next bit but although the answer is clear (where's that dawning light gone?🤔)

COD - A draw between 9a and 15d, both of which have a touch of the Pauline's about them.

Thanks to the ever-reliable Picaroon for another top-notch puzzle.

Please feel free to leave a comment with new posters particularly welcome - we're a friendly bunch and it only takes a minute to join.

Stay safe:-)
2 of 73  -   Report This Post

brendan

11th June 2022, 01:05
22a ..... ah! "willing" - very good:-)
3 of 73  -   Report This Post

geeker

11th June 2022, 01:06
Agreed, I was just about to post same!
4 of 73  -   Report This Post

brendan

11th June 2022, 01:36
I've got all thirteen of the theme but, you're right Geeker, Picaroon has done a splendid job of concealing some of them:-)
5 of 73  -   Report This Post

geeker

11th June 2022, 01:36
Egads, a Picaroon (Guardian) /Buccaneer (FT) double-header this evening! And Rodriguez was in last Saturday's Indy...
6 of 73  -   Report This Post

jono

11th June 2022, 07:27
There have been some really clever constructions in the G in recent days (not least yesterday’s by Brendan) and I noticed this is the same grid Brendan used for the St George’s day puzzle which lends itself to a theme. Got 13 before 8 and then spotted the theme which helped towards the end. Good fun.
7 of 73  -   Report This Post

chrise

11th June 2022, 09:01
Easiest puzzle of the week (including Vulcan!). However I've not parsed 19d - any pointers, please?
8 of 73  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

11th June 2022, 09:11
Chris
Being in harmony is 8 letters minus the 3rd and 4th letters gives the answer
9 of 73  -   Report This Post

chrise

11th June 2022, 09:17
Thanks jazzgirl - not obvious!
10 of 73  -   Report This Post