CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rob

24th March 2009, 21:28
I'm not sure of a few..
44d Ongoing?
44a Opening Line?
54a Gandhi?
30d AGE_?
Thanks in anticipation of your help. Explanations would be appreciated.
Rob
1 of 12  -   Report This Post

big dave

24th March 2009, 21:36
Clues would also be appreciated!!
2 of 12  -   Report This Post

trevor

24th March 2009, 21:48
I agree with Big Dave about posting clues.
30d Silver-haired balding?(4)
It is Aged - silver = ag.
"ed" comes from the word (Hair)ed losing hair (balding). A question mark at the end, often means the whole clue is the definition.
Big Dave explains these things better than me.
3 of 12  -   Report This Post

trevor

24th March 2009, 21:56
44d Concerning condition, of course, still in operation(7)
Concerning = On.
Condition, of course = going (horse racing term)

44a Starting (opening) to read US magazine (TIME)when locals (pubs) start business. opening time.
4 of 12  -   Report This Post

trevor

24th March 2009, 22:06
p.s. I'm guessing that there was, or is, a famous cricketer called Gandhi - hence the "Indian spinner" part of the clue.

p.p.s. I think 30d Silver-haired balding?(4)
is a v good clue
5 of 12  -   Report This Post

big dave

24th March 2009, 22:09
I think you have done an excellent job Trevor.

We are having a big debate behind the scenes of the blog at the moment on what to call these clues. Some say they are &lit (and literally so) and others prefer all-in-one. We are leaning towards the latter at the moment as being more descriptive.

Basically, if the wordplay uses up all the words in the clue, and then you have to read the clue again to get the definition, then it is this type of clue. The "?" is optional in the UK, although preferred in the US. I am preparing a guide to add to the blog, but it's a harder task than I first thought.

You can read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptic_crosswords but no single source is definitive. An excellent example came up today on this forum: http://www.crosswordsolver.org/forum/7862/st4321

@Rob - you will probably get more help on this forum from people who don't do this puzzle than from people who do, which is why we ask you to give the clues. Placed letters also help in case your answer is, perish the thought, incorrect.
6 of 12  -   Report This Post

trevor

24th March 2009, 22:37
Thanks Big Dave,
some nice links there.
For what it's worth, I prefer "all-in-one" I think it sounds(and reads) better, and is a bit more self explanatory.

7 of 12  -   Report This Post

rob

24th March 2009, 23:21
Thanks for your help. I feel suitably chastised about the lack of clues.
Rob
8 of 12  -   Report This Post

me

26th March 2009, 13:02
Ghandi, and his followers, adopted the practice of only wearing clothes made from material they had spun themselves. Consequently, the spinning wheel was added to the Indian national flag on independence. Hence the reference to \"Indian spinner\"
9 of 12  -   Report This Post

trevor

26th March 2009, 13:07
thanks for that Me
10 of 12  -   Report This Post