CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

trevor

26th August 2010, 18:13
Les, you make it sound like a bad thing.
Where do you fit in?
51 of 68  -   Report This Post

disappointed

26th August 2010, 18:38
Mark - there is a distinct difference between using the internet to search for the answer to a question and posting the question on sites such as this simply for someone else to do the donkey work and provide the answer.

If you search the internet yourself and find the answer, you and only you will have it, whereas if you post the question on here and someone provides the answer, everyone will have it.

It is this very action that is ruining quizzes. You may be unaware that the setter of GBQ has specifically requested that his questions are not asked on these such sites, but I'm sure Celia is well aware of that request and unfortunately chooses to ignore it.
52 of 68  -   Report This Post

puzzled

26th August 2010, 19:41
The point I was trying to get over to Celia and forum members was that the quiz only arrived last Thursday 19th and by Tuesday 24th she posted a question from it on this site. The closing date is Friday 10th September. I really think that 5 days isn't a long time to exhaust all possibilities of finding the answer for yourself. Just using an abbreviation website would have thrown up one of the titles which would have led Celia to investigate further.
53 of 68  -   Report This Post

george iii

27th August 2010, 09:20
Celia also failed to mention the source of the quiz.

Any ones marked "help" "clues please" "stuck" or the like can be from quizzes where the setter has politely requested that forums / answersites are not used.

Or am I being too cynical this morning
54 of 68  -   Report This Post

tonta

28th August 2010, 10:12
Nothing to do with the discussion - I would just love to know how to get the moving characters (letters) across the screen, if the earlier posters to this thread would be kind enough to divulge their secret.
55 of 68  -   Report This Post

tabs

29th August 2010, 14:13
Like Tonta I'd love to know how to get the letters moving. Have tried to investigate how to do it with no result!! Many thanks.
56 of 68  -   Report This Post

trevor

29th August 2010, 16:56
This is pretty much the code that JimC used(hope you don't mind JimC)I think we all just then stole the code from his post.

<table WIDTH=100><tr><td><br />
<MARQUEE DIRECTION=RIGHT LOOP=INFINITE BEHAVIOR=ALTERNATE SCROLLAMOUNT=30>TextGoesHere</MARQUEE><br />
</td></tr></table>

you can try changing the parameters,especially table WIDTH(how wide the box that the text appears in is)and the SCROLLAMOUNT(text moves faster or slower).

I learnt some html about eight or nine years ago but never saw this until JimC used it so i might mess up.The code contained within the MARQUEE tags is the bit that makes the text move.So the following code,

<MARQUEE DIRECTION=right LOOP=INFINITE BEHAVIOR=ALTERNATE

SCROLLAMOUNT=40>TextGoesHere</MARQUEE>

should do this.

SCROLLAMOUNT=40>TextGoesHere

I cant tell if this is a total disaster until i post it.
57 of 68  -   Report This Post

jimc

29th August 2010, 17:06
I don't mind Trevor.

Watching the text move back & forth gives my eye muscles a workout.

http://www.gifs.net/Animation11/Hobbies_and_Entertainment/Art_and_Sculpture/Mona_Lisa_3.gif" alt="eyes" hspace=10>

JimC
58 of 68  -   Report This Post

trevor

29th August 2010, 17:42
lovely reply JimC.
I remember using Tables can be a bit tricky and i've noticed that the Marquee tag was(way back when)an add-on for Internet Explorer.(although it works fine in firefox when you use it my attempts aren't a total success).
59 of 68  -   Report This Post

trevor

29th August 2010, 20:31

just a test,please ignore!

60 of 68  -   Report This Post