CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

21st April 2020, 06:57
Myla, glad I could help.
41 of 48  -   Report This Post

ladyhgg

21st April 2020, 09:16
Yes, an absolute stinker! My Dad has chucked the paper down the table in disgust. He has been doing The Times crossword since he was 17 and is 91 next month, so time to be pretty sharp. He doesn't mind not being able to parse, but hates it when he doesn't understand the parse.

But recently there is some "clever clogs" trying to prove they are clever. Humph!

Rant over.
42 of 48  -   Report This Post

malone

21st April 2020, 09:31
LadyHGG, I've always liked the fact that what can be an 'absolute stinker' to some , or most, people, can be relatively straightforward for other solvers. I've occasionally though a particular puzzle was a nightmare, other people have commented 'relatively straightforward this week'.

If someone's asked for a parse and someone on the Forum gives the parsing, I don't think that's really a case of anyone 'trying to prove they're a clever clogs'. I often don't parse my own solutions and my attempts on here are sometimes way off the mark - but I'm always relieved when someone, anyone, comes along with the correct version!
43 of 48  -   Report This Post

gerba

22nd April 2020, 11:16
I have always found that Malone offers his or her advice with a level of modesty and understanding that would have shamed the Council of Trent.
Thanks Malone for assistance on a wide range of crosswords, across, down and occasionally diagonally.
44 of 48  -   Report This Post

malone

22nd April 2020, 11:27
Thanks, Gerba, that was very kind of you - and I'm just one of many people on here who try to give as much help as they get! (PS I'm a 'she'.)

I didn't know who ladyhgg was referring to with the 'trying to be a clever clogs' comment. I didn't think it was me as I know my shortcomings and don't always parse, attempt to parse!
45 of 48  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd April 2020, 11:48
Isn't Ladyhgg saying that it's the setter is trying to be a clever clogs? At least that's how I read it.
46 of 48  -   Report This Post

malone

22nd April 2020, 11:54
Brendan, I didn't read it like that - mainly because I want the setters to be clever clogs, we need them to prove they are clever... so that we can try to do battle with them! It seems odd to criticise them for doing their job properly! Also, the post followed a few of the rather less obvious parsings for recent clues, so I assumed it related to those. Mind you, it doesn't actually matter very much - I've seen many moans and rants over the years, and have even had a few myself!

47 of 48  -   Report This Post

parallelogram

24th April 2020, 21:46
I would have said that an inflammatory poster is known as a troll not a troller.
48 of 48  -   Report This Post