CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

Home » Forum » RT13

xfan

18th March 2009, 08:54
Please can anyone explain (!) 1D?
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

philip

18th March 2009, 09:46
Good morning

The clue is another RT obtuse one, but lets try to explain at least some of it.The clue reads "Passed a boy above plain" the answer is I think OVERLADEN. Having said that I cant find a word in the clue that actually defines overladen.

Passed=Over
Boy=Lad
En Well take your pick from the 20 or so definitions of the word En that appear in Wikipedia. Bearing in my the previous answers the compler(s) seem to like references to typography, so perhaps its something to do with that. No doubt others will be able to contribute more, or correct me if I am wrong.
Philip
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

18th March 2009, 09:53
Good morning to you both.

I had a problem with this one too. The answer is OVERTAKEN [passed]. The construction is OVERT [plain] + A KEN [I don't like it]. I have used a thesaurus to check that overt is a synonym for plain - and it is!

Regards,

Caravaggio
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

philip

18th March 2009, 09:58
Having looked at your explanation and solution, I concede, although the reference to A KEN is probably plumbing new depths even for the RT

Philip
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

xfan

18th March 2009, 10:20
Thank you gentlemen. I had rather got stuck on the idea that the passed was over, and then that a boy was a "lad". I had convinced myself that being overtaken was correct and until your prompts had not fully constructed that overt was plain in the sense of it now being clear! Away Win RT 1 v Xfan 0.
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

big dave

18th March 2009, 12:47
As I see it, there are two main reasons why you would want to solve a particular crossword:

1. For the pleasure and enjoyment

2. For a prize

As the RT puzzle never failed to annoy me, and I never send them in, I stopped doing this one some time ago!
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

andrew

18th March 2009, 23:01
Stuck on 1 this week:

18D Badge left on the third man (5A) ?A?E?

Thanks for the help!
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

jimc

18th March 2009, 23:06
Hi Andrew.

LABEL = L(left) + ABEL(Adam, Cain, Abel).
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

trevor

18th March 2009, 23:13
I think LABEL
badge (label) left(l) third man (Abel)
Abel = biblical third man (I'm guessing) - Adam - Cain - Abel.
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

andrew

18th March 2009, 23:30
Cheers guys - thanks for the help.
10 of 10  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » RT13