CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

twm

7th August 2010, 14:47
Ah, right, AJT, thanks. I thought that "seria" must be an operatic term in foreign (like the word opers itself). If it was eant to be seria(l), I must agree that it appears to be a bit deficient as a clue.
31 of 48  -   Report This Post

joe

7th August 2010, 14:49
Thanks for your help.
I was right about 22d - but didn't know it was a foreign word; thought there might have been a hint in the clue to this effect eg ...... enough in Rome - that type of thing.

25ac was one of my 2 possibilities; thought qualification might be 'BA' - not familiar with the one in answer. Thought of soap opera as possible 'type' but lack of last letter in that answer threw me.
Many thanks.
32 of 48  -   Report This Post

clevertask

7th August 2010, 14:49
International baccalaureate.
33 of 48  -   Report This Post

ajt

7th August 2010, 14:51
OOps, Ixion - I didn't know that term. Apologies, Twm, for misleading. But presumably that's why we have the term "soap opera"?
34 of 48  -   Report This Post

clevertask

7th August 2010, 14:54
Actually it is a perfect example of Araucarian misdirection - not soap but seria And not ba but ib!
35 of 48  -   Report This Post

joe

7th August 2010, 14:55
D'oh - familiar with full term didn't pick up on abbreviation 'IB' - thanks.

Just found Opera Seria in my COED:
18th-c opera on heroic theme with arias.

The Master strikes again!!
36 of 48  -   Report This Post

clevertask

7th August 2010, 15:03
Learnt to my cost never to underestimate the monkey puzzler!
37 of 48  -   Report This Post

salmoncooker

7th August 2010, 15:06
....or Mistress perhaps, being dioecious.
38 of 48  -   Report This Post

clevertask

7th August 2010, 15:10
I thought soap opera came from American TV serials interrupted by adverts?
Araucaria is a retired clergyman living out Cambridge way...definitely a Master.
39 of 48  -   Report This Post

ajt

7th August 2010, 15:13
Definitely Master. I wrote to the Crossword Editor some while ago, after a particularly delightful puzzle, to express my thanks:- he replied:- "The old boy will be delighted"
40 of 48  -   Report This Post