CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

john (from arran)

30th July 2010, 11:42
This is an American recipe, hence the use of cups rather than metric or imperial weights. The original recipe also called for 2 cups of sugar and a teaspoon of salt, but those seemed excessive so I cut both down.

3 eggs
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 c. vegetable oil (I used olive oil but probably corn oil would be just as good)
2 c. coarsely grated raw courgettes (peel, if you object to green in your cake grated on the big holes of grater, or with food processor)
3 tsp. vanilla extract
3 c. all purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
3 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg, pinch of cloves and allspice
1 c. coarsely chopped pecans, optional (or walnuts)

Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.

Sift together flour, leavenings, and spices
Beat eggs till light and foamy, stir in sugar, vanilla, and oil, mixing well. Add dry ingredients gradually while still stirring to combine.

Add grated courgettes, mix well, then nuts. Pour into tin.

Bake in a preheated 180C oven for ~60 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Cool on rack about 15 minutes, then remove from pan and continue to cool until room temperature. Wrap securely. This cake freezes very well.

Another courgette cake recipe I have tried is from Riverford Cafe. It is also very good and can be found http://www.riverford.co.uk/cook/recipes/by:category/desserts/chocolate-courgette-cake/?PHPSESSID=7a12af86-baba37bd-7a12af87-baba37bd-00000002-kl5gd2tr4stvof6403tjc5ieh0">here.
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

jamie

30th July 2010, 12:19
How many letters please?
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

30th July 2010, 12:31
I'm not sure why you posted it here, J(FA), but thank you -- this could help with the courgette mountain (which is rapidly turning into a marrow mountain).
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

30th July 2010, 12:34
Sorry, to keep it on topic I'll post a clue to go with it:

A creepie gecko cutter boiled for this formula (9,4,6)
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

jamie

30th July 2010, 12:50
I do the recipes aound here John, even the courgette cake ones.
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

the joker

30th July 2010, 16:22
All we need on the site - A Demarcation Dispute!!
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

kookaburra

31st July 2010, 07:45
Is it possible to substitute zucchini for courgettes?
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

zed

31st July 2010, 12:04
No, zucchini is only eight letters.
8 of 8  -   Report This Post