CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ajt

27th July 2010, 17:19
When I read through my typing (after posting it) I realsied I should have gone to Specsavers!
41 of 61  -   Report This Post

versola

28th July 2010, 14:09
A word in support of Mr Trevor. I do not understand complaints. You have Google, Chambers, Wiki, Anagram programs and assists from other sites. If compiler still outwits you, get wittier, do not blame him.
And best British compiler I think to be Myops.
42 of 61  -   Report This Post

ajt

28th July 2010, 14:21
To versola:- The most reasoned response to you is from Bathbub, post 31 of this thread
43 of 61  -   Report This Post

versola

28th July 2010, 14:35
Yes AJT I read bathbub already. He says 'It's not that Paul McKenna's puzzles are too hard, it's that many of the clues are so obscure and, on occasion, poorly constructed, that they frustrate even advanced solvers.' Please what is difference between being too hard and frustrating even advanced solvers? How else to be difficult except being obscure? Also, what is this about not having time to spare? There is better way than trying to solve difficult crossword? Tell me please how.
44 of 61  -   Report This Post

trevor

28th July 2010, 14:38
Golf?
45 of 61  -   Report This Post

ajt

28th July 2010, 14:53
Versola - To quote Bathtub - you're missing the point. For me, and for most people, I'm sure, who like to try the more complex puzzles, the point is that one should know if one has solved the clue correctly, and this is not so with a lot of clues from the puzzles of the person we are talking about. He quotes Chambers as a reference, but in fact many of his answers are not accessible as such in Chambers.
I believe that it all comes down to a question of what is fair play. It seems to me that if you move away from fair play in what I like to think are the classics of the crossword world, there is no point in doing them
46 of 61  -   Report This Post

versola

28th July 2010, 14:58
Ok thank you AJT I understand but agree to differ.
47 of 61  -   Report This Post

ajt

28th July 2010, 15:06
Absolutely, Versola. What a funny world this would be if we all thought the same on every issue.
48 of 61  -   Report This Post

trevor

28th July 2010, 15:14
Actually, i just don't Get golf,especially how it became a spectator sport,
surely though, in that situation the player who tried to get near to the green on the 1st shot (stroke?)would stand a better chance, which is of course all Irrelevant.
I too thought Bathtub wrote a great letter and can understand some of the frustration you all feel but i'm still not totally convinced because, like the golfing scenario, it is a level playing field(worst possible choice of words there).I presume there are still winners when he sets the crossword.

I also remember when i used to do the Guardian cryptic (pre computer days for me)there was one setter that, if i couldn't get an answer in a matter of seconds I would't bother because i found that getting an answer wasn't like "ah yes - good one" rather "groan - yeah i see".

it would never have even crossed my mind to write to the paper,i just wouldn't do the crossword,so i can see your point of view and maybe here is the best place to get it off your collective chest.
49 of 61  -   Report This Post

ajt

28th July 2010, 15:25
Thanks, Treor. As I remarked in my last post here, we all think differently about things, don't we? Let me ry and put my point of view:- I'be been doing the Mephisto (I know I've said this before) for over thirty years. I think the only times I've ailedto finish it are if I've been abroad, and haven't been able to get the ST. So for me, it's now an institution - I so look forward to downloading it, and getting to grips with it - but now, I feel resentful that it's been spoilt because someone is refusing to play by the rules.

Sorry for that.
50 of 61  -   Report This Post