CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bullfrog

26th July 2010, 22:37
I was puzzled by this, but further research has shown that 'Antilope Bubalis' is a synonym for 'Alcelaphus buselaphus', the extinct Bubal Hartebeest.
http://www.petermaas.nl/extinct/speciesinfo/bubalhartebeest.htm
11 of 31  -   Report This Post

terry

26th July 2010, 22:54
Bullfrog,

Thanks very much for the info. I knew about the extinct Bubal Hartebeest and thought perhaps the setter had slightly slipped up. But no,a bit tenuous maybe,but an undeniable link.
Thanks again.
12 of 31  -   Report This Post

mistley

27th July 2010, 03:12
Hi Trevor & Terry

Thanks for your support of my original post. Can't think why K got upset about it, after all I did admit and apologise to being pedantic.

M
13 of 31  -   Report This Post

k

27th July 2010, 09:24
Hi Mistley

Firstly can I apologise if I came over as rude and short with you.
Although I am not a fan of the Indirect Anagram & was a bit surprised at it's possible use by Araucaria I thought the best thing was to hear what the great man had to say.
He says that he has tried to move away from the strict 'Ximenean' clue setting and create a 'free for all' system (within reason of course). As to the use of the indirect anagram he feels that provided there is an indicator, along the lines of
'derived from', the it has a place in his puzzles.

My favourite setter bar none.
14 of 31  -   Report This Post

ajt

27th July 2010, 09:31
Hello K -Your final comment:- mine too, but I do hope his acceptance of a "free-for-all" system doesn't give licence to the likes of you-know-who.
15 of 31  -   Report This Post

terry

27th July 2010, 12:12
k,
Why do you have to come out with a load of zen pseudo-babble. Aren't you big enough to simply admit that Mistley and Trevor were right and you were wrong. You are in danger of disappearing up your own arse-it's only a crossword for god's sake.
16 of 31  -   Report This Post

k

27th July 2010, 12:50
Terry

You will be pleased to know that I am leaving the forum with immediate effect. I won't miss your charming language but I'll be sorry to lose contact with all the friendly & knowledgeable people I've met in my short time here.
It is such a shame that a lovely forum can be spoiled by just one or two.
17 of 31  -   Report This Post

ixion

27th July 2010, 13:11
K - I for one hope you'll reconsider leaving the forum - a run in with Terry is obligatory for everyone!
18 of 31  -   Report This Post

ajt

27th July 2010, 13:18
K, please don't be driven away. I hope you read what I said about you in may last contbution on the Mephiso thread.
19 of 31  -   Report This Post

trevor

27th July 2010, 17:00
K - can i first say that you are more than welcome at this site.
~I didn't mean to single you out on the other thread but i do think the comments in general about PMcK were becoming a bit of a witch hunt and at least one person spoke about getting rid of him - nobody seemed to find that a bit much,so i responded.

Also Araucaria's thoughts on Indirect Anagrams seemed a bit irrelevant as they weren't used here.He is also my favourite setter(the only one i have any opinion on really,but making him an MBE??)

I enjoy reading your exchanges with AJT and,as you probably know, She speaks very highly of you. May i suggest that you take any negative comments with a pinch of salt as they are very rarely personal and sometimes quite amusing.
20 of 31  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » Araucaria