CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

wally

13th October 2018, 19:36
I agree with you chrise. I make it quite clear to my students that a catalyst does not start a reaction. If a reaction needs a "starter" it is an initiator. Most A level chemists know that a catalyst speeds up a reaction by providing an alternative reaction mechanism with a lower activation energy. But so many people like to show how clever they are by taking a technical word (in all subjects) which has a very precise meaning and then show that they do not know or care about its true meaning by misusing it.
I get annoyed when people say "sorry" but they are not sorry. How often do we see "Sorry we are closed" on shop doors? Are the owners, sitting at home, really sorry that they are not at work?
11 of 12  -   Report This Post

dandybandy

15th October 2018, 14:07
Bit late for this reply Wally. But when this retired health food shop keeper put a sorry sign on the door, he was doubly sorry. Firstly sorry to inconvenience the customers for calling when we were closed and secondly missing their custom. Believe it or not when there were just two of us running a small shop, we did need a break from time to time either for lunch or even a holiday. I notice you mention students, either college or school, you have lunch breaks and paid holidays. Any time we had off was unpaid. But that was what we chose. Sorry! It might sound like one but this is not a rant. Lots of love
12 of 12  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » RT 42