CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

18th September 2018, 18:00
Teenieleek, it's Doula, a sort of midwife. It's Alu, potato (ula as it's 'raised') after Do, work.
11 of 18  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

18th September 2018, 18:52
Thanks Malone, I was getting fed up trying letters.

I have seen the former tobacco factory in Seville where she was supposed to have worked. My memory might be iffy but I think it might be part of one of the universities now.
12 of 18  -   Report This Post

jigjag

19th September 2018, 15:19
Malone

I too thought you were male - probably also the default setting idea you suggest.

I have finished it now - thanks for your hints. I am not sure about 7D though - I have Punaani but its not in my old Chambers.

13 of 18  -   Report This Post

malone

19th September 2018, 15:25
Jigjag, Punaani is in my newer Chambers - the revised 13the edition. Punani, punaany and punany are there too - just in case we ever need those!

Jigjag, I never like using 'he or she...' or 'he/she...' as it seems cumbersome, but that would stop any assumptions.
14 of 18  -   Report This Post

jigjag

19th September 2018, 16:17
Malone

Thanks - I really must get a new Chambers. A few words in this EV were not in my old one.

I agree about the "he or she , he/she" being cumbersome. The Laws of cricket have just been re-written to include "he or she" and it makes them rather ridiculous. A girl who plays for my team occasionally insists on being called a batsman. Good for her.

The only solvers I know are men and when I have been to the Times Final, there have been very few ladies. I suppose that leads to my assumption that an unknown solver is a man.
15 of 18  -   Report This Post

malone

19th September 2018, 17:09
Jigjag, glad my Chambers confirmed your answer. I'd be lost without my copies - a 12th upstairs and the revised 13th downstairs.

Your young cricketer is to be commended!
16 of 18  -   Report This Post

manic mary

19th September 2018, 19:23
Strange, always assumed Malone to be a man! Whoops, sorry! With my non de plume, fairly obvious a hair-brained blonde! Who-ever you are and whatever sex (oh, whoops, can one say that these days??) thank you all for helping me when I am stuck......most weeks. See you next week no doubt! Carmen worked in the ciggie factory and was taking a break when she clobbered the poor soldier.
17 of 18  -   Report This Post

malone

19th September 2018, 21:12
Hi MM, I don't suppose it matters whether we're male or female - the only difficulty arises when we're referring to someone in posts! Glad we're all able to help each other on here. Thanks for the additional Carmen information.
18 of 18  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1348