CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jigjag

17th September 2018, 19:41
I am struggling on this EV by Jaguar.

It is a music theme and Variations (so presumably classical which I know nothing about).

For the theme I have *arme* - so I assume it is Barmen, but for the variations are there any famous ones? I know Dave from the Winchester from years ago but that is it.
1 of 18  -   Report This Post

malone

17th September 2018, 19:46
Jigjag - it's not Barmen, the first letter is just slightly further along the alphabet!
2 of 18  -   Report This Post

malone

17th September 2018, 19:49
… and, as the preamble says, it's probably its composer's best-known piece. Say the composer's name out loud...
3 of 18  -   Report This Post

jigjag

17th September 2018, 23:02
Malone

Many thanks - I have got it now, although I had to look it up.

I had assumed that as there are "bars" in music, then Barmen (men who make bars? - composers) might be right. But it is straightforward and explains the changes , as you say.

Thanks to your hint, I dont have to worry whether "Barmaids" might be included.

In a strange twist, my earlier posting mentioned the setter's name. I had mis-remembered this and my error hinted at the theme.

4 of 18  -   Report This Post

malone

18th September 2018, 06:37
Glad I could help, jigjag. 'Barmen', leading to composers, has been used before in crosswords and I think that was distracting you from the word being a title, and a composer's most famous work.

I thought your slip-up with the setter's name was good! I hadn't noticed that earlier, I don't think I'd paid any attention to who set the puzzle.
5 of 18  -   Report This Post

manic mary

18th September 2018, 10:01
Just for once I have had the brainwave and can offer advice instead of begging for clues. It's not barman jigjag, think famous cigarette girl, then say the composer's name out loud, then follow through with your interpretation of the setter's name.
6 of 18  -   Report This Post

malone

18th September 2018, 15:54
MM, glad you got this done. It was good of you to help jigjag, but I think she'd completed the puzzle earlier!
7 of 18  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

18th September 2018, 17:42
26dn ?oula - she cares for new mother and gets work by raising the spud. Alu = spud, op for work? Or go?
8 of 18  -   Report This Post

jigjag

18th September 2018, 17:53
Manic Mary

thanks for your hint - it probably would not have helped as I did not know about her selling cigarettes. But Malone is right - I now have the thematic items though not quite finished it.

Malone

interesting that you think jigjag is female! - does it sound it? Definitely not anyway. It comes from my interests in jigsaws and big cats (not cars) - and no connection with the setter Jago!

9 of 18  -   Report This Post

malone

18th September 2018, 17:58
Jigjag, lots of posters here thought I was male - I don't know why. I've no real reason for thinking you were female, but it's maybe my default setting - being one myself, I assume everyone else is! I'm glad you mentioned MM's cigarette-selling thing, I too knew nothing about that.
10 of 18  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1348