CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

unclued

27th August 2018, 18:14
Harry - a double definition. You’ll find both in Chambers if you look hard enough!
51 of 67  -   Report This Post

sunray

27th August 2018, 19:44
I think I am very close, I hope.
I made two cells with multiple letters replaced with their initial letter.
Then I switched the two letters in row with 30a.
That gave me the correct playfair code for the fifth letter in 13d.
But I have four other cells with with multiple letters.
Last of 32a, First of 34d and third of 41a and last of 16a.
Plus the two in the row of 30a.
I have 6. Preamble says 4.

What is my mistake?
Thanks.
52 of 67  -   Report This Post

cass

27th August 2018, 20:02
I have completed the grid, apart from one clue (30ac), and I have located 4 cells with "stages" as per the preamble. However, I have been puzzled by an earlier comment regarding 5 "stages" (4 outward, one inward). Are there 5 "stages"?

If so, is 30ac one of them? The preamble mentions one "stage" being named later (which made me think of our Ashes rivals..or even PYF).

Thank you! I'm still wearing my "L" plates with the Listener.

53 of 67  -   Report This Post

merenz

27th August 2018, 20:10
Sunray. Your multiple letters in the last cell of 31a need to be replaced with a symbol, as do the letters in the second cell of 28d. You should be able to look up the symbols. Then the symbol in 31a transits the symbol in 28d, effectively swapping places with the last cell in 18d

By my count you have 5 others with multiple letters. The erroneous one is last cell of 32a. All of the others are correct and you should notice they’re linked to A & B’s journey.

Hope this helps.
54 of 67  -   Report This Post

samovar

27th August 2018, 20:37
Thanks to all the help here, I have now finished my first Playfair Code and the puzzle. What fun !
Thank you !
55 of 67  -   Report This Post

sunray

27th August 2018, 20:41
Thanks Merenz.
Last of 32a was a typo. It should have been 35a.

The journey starts from country in last of 16a.
Goes around second in 38d.
A sees the transition in row of 30a.
Then A goes to the country in last of 35a.

Good 34a (first cell) was in second journey?

My letters in 13d are KDSNSFVAP.

It was a good puzzle. With help here I was able to get through.
56 of 67  -   Report This Post

cass

27th August 2018, 21:00
Re my last post -I've got it now (just realised "ends" of exile means just that, so 30ac is what I assumed). Also the post before mine confirmed (I think) just 4 stages, plus the 2 symbols of course.

57 of 67  -   Report This Post

williamseal

28th August 2018, 15:04
I have completed the grid and solved Playfair, but am unlikely to complete. I have two heavenly bodies: is the event an eclipse? If so I simply cannot see what to move where.

I am happy to sit at the bottom of this particular class.
However I'd really welcome some advice on parsing 41 across. I have two French words and the definition, but where does 80 come into it?

Many thanks all.
58 of 67  -   Report This Post

keepatit

28th August 2018, 15:57
R is the mediaeval Roman symbol for 80. If you look up the noun in the title you might see exactly what is happening in astronomical terms
59 of 67  -   Report This Post

williamseal

28th August 2018, 17:25
Thanks keepatit
I shall look out for 80 = R from now on
60 of 67  -   Report This Post