CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mamya

21st July 2018, 14:57
General principles and conventions are fine as long as everyone popping into a thread knows them - I've been here years and still get it wrong now and then, pity a newish user.
11 of 23  -   Report This Post

malone

21st July 2018, 15:00
I agree, Mamya - new users can't be expected to have psychic powers! Even now, I still have to remind myself that it's usually hints for RT, but it doesn't matter for RTE - and I sometimes forget about the Guardian conventions.
12 of 23  -   Report This Post

chrise

21st July 2018, 15:03
Agreed!
13 of 23  -   Report This Post

mamya

21st July 2018, 15:06
Not too long ago, I answered a Guardian one that popped up on a Wednesday - I answered and was brought to book.

The fact it was by then 5 days old seemed not to matter.

I sighed.
14 of 23  -   Report This Post

rossim

21st July 2018, 17:22
I think the convention is not to give answers when it's a prize crossword which it isn't on a Wednesday.
15 of 23  -   Report This Post

mamya

21st July 2018, 17:25
I didn't word that well - I answered a Saturday prize Guardian 5 days after it had been published.
16 of 23  -   Report This Post

roof

21st July 2018, 17:30
Hi Mamya

The prize crosswords have to be in by the following Friday, so an answer on a Wednesday would be in time for someone to submit it. So hints only on a prize crossword even after five days.

I do value all your help. I haven't finished yet, but I hope to try a bit longer before asking for hints. Just had a break for gardening.
17 of 23  -   Report This Post

mamya

21st July 2018, 17:36
I'll try my best, but with partial sight and requests for hints that don't travel with the OP to the last page I'll do my best and let's not be too hard on those who trample on conventions eh?

The use of the word 'cheat' by someone earlier was not nice to read.
18 of 23  -   Report This Post

roof

21st July 2018, 18:21
Hi Mamya

I didn't mean to cause you offence and of course we will occasionally get someone giving the full solution. I'll be back on soon seeking some hints. I only do this crossword.
19 of 23  -   Report This Post

mamya

21st July 2018, 18:28
Oh, I don't take offence - I promise you that :-)
20 of 23  -   Report This Post