CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

phantom

12th May 2018, 13:34
So the wrong word came from the clue to 15d - now all done !
11 of 72  -   Report This Post

meursault

12th May 2018, 15:33
Correction for clue 15. Bears little resemblance to what was printed...
https://www.listenercrossword.com/

...how can the published clue be so badly wrong ?
12 of 72  -   Report This Post

gitto

12th May 2018, 15:51
Meursault, I cannot agree more - and by the way, I've finally finished this. I still maintain that the end game is more obtuse and cryptic than the crossword itself.
13 of 72  -   Report This Post

buzzb

12th May 2018, 16:01
Meursault -

I think it is pathetic that the editors would miss such a serious error, but in fairness, the published clue was not so badly wrong. I think the revision is deliberately more different than necessary so that the extraneous word would not be trivially revealed.
14 of 72  -   Report This Post

dryden

12th May 2018, 16:08
Could somebody please enlighten me as to what all the fuss is about. I printed off the puzzle from the Listener website sometime after midnight and the clue worked for me and gave me an extra word. I assume that the clue as printed in the newspaper edition was different. If so, what was printed?
15 of 72  -   Report This Post

cloverjo

12th May 2018, 16:35
In my printed edition the clue was the same as last night's online one.
16 of 72  -   Report This Post

cloverjo

12th May 2018, 16:37
The original clue read 'Tree debarked and chopped down when imbibing top class port, tanked up.'
17 of 72  -   Report This Post

woodlouse

12th May 2018, 16:39
Tree debarked and chopped down when
imbibing top-class port, tanked up

Gives the same answer to 15 but not the same extra letters.

I can't get started on who said the 6 words. Apparently its not pop music.
18 of 72  -   Report This Post

meursault

12th May 2018, 16:41
I agree Gitto, some of the statements/quotes for Listener puzzles seem to be more obscure nowadays : perhaps this is because setters now assume that solvers are going to use the internet. But intricate google searches aren't really anything to do with crossword puzzles. One might just as well add a general knowledge quiz at the end of the puzzle, just for good measure...

Hi Dryden, the printed clue is "Tree debarked and chopped down when imbibing top-class port tanked up" In this case port is the word that must be removed, and does not provide an 'M'.
19 of 72  -   Report This Post

meursault

12th May 2018, 16:42
Woodlouse, there is a composer running NE to SW.
20 of 72  -   Report This Post