CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

nimus

10th May 2018, 16:23
The first clue to the solution is: Substance in tobacco reinforces addiction (4)

It may be a hidden word in the clue, i.e. CORE. But I cannot parse it. Is it indeed CORE or could be something else?

The second clue is: Bare-backed in abbreviated underwear (4)

I cannot figure out what it can be, but the last letter is the same as the last letter of the first clue.

Anyone can help, please?
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

skyewalker

10th May 2018, 16:35
The second one is NUDE, obviously meaning "bare" and is "backed", i.e. reversed in "abbreviatED UNderwear" .
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

10th May 2018, 16:36
Core is a synonym of substance

Nude is the other answer it’s hidden in reverse- first two letters of underwear and lay two of abbreviated
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

malone

10th May 2018, 16:39
I'm sure Core and Nude are correct, but I don't like 'addiction' in the first clue, it seems to have no purpose.
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

skyewalker

10th May 2018, 16:39
I also think you're correct with CORE, as in gist or substance.
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

nimus

10th May 2018, 16:44
Great. Thanks everybody for the unlocking the clues.
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

nimus

10th May 2018, 16:51
I think it is for better surface reading. Which was why I was unsure at first until the explanations here. And I realise it is for better surface reading.
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

nimus

10th May 2018, 16:53
Sorry. I meant to reply to malone's post.
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

malone

10th May 2018, 16:59
Yes, Nimus, I could see it (addiction) helping with the surface reading - but that's the only reason for it being there. Some clues, the best ones, have no superfluous words!
9 of 9  -   Report This Post