CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ethik

5th February 2018, 12:42
Rightly or wrongly I have decided not to clear them out, but to leave them cleared up.
81 of 100  -   Report This Post

meursault

5th February 2018, 14:24
You're referring to the clash cells, Ethik ? I did wonder about that, whether the 3-word instruction is to vacate the clash cells completely. Though I think probably not since that would impact on the 3-word instruction itself. If you want to submit your entry, probably safer to leave in the letters which correspond to the U of ambiguities...
82 of 100  -   Report This Post

ethik

5th February 2018, 14:39
Thanks for your advice. The die is cast - it's in the post. Publish and be damned!
83 of 100  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

5th February 2018, 18:44
Very clever again. I was fortunate to find only the right spy and thought I had done. Couldn’t find the phrase. Looked on here, thought I must have messed up, then found the phrase and realised I’d got it right by chance and the whole thing was significantly cleverer than I had first realised. Very good again.

Realise this is a bit off topic but would appreciate some advice about last week. Haven’t looked at last weeks thread yet as
still trying to solve without help. Have 45 out of 50 clues solved and largely entered, and possibly one of the two 14
Letter phrases. However I get the strong impression that the end game is going to be a killer / not solvable without a lucky guess, and I am fairly poor at the more difficult / abstract end games. So, in your esteemed opinions, is it worth me persevering or am I likely wasting my time and I should give up and look at last weeks thread?

Many thanks
84 of 100  -   Report This Post

smartie

5th February 2018, 18:57
Smellyharry - glad you managed to "spy" your way through this week's offering. Last week's is worth persevering with as it is multi-layered. Worth the effort but it's also worth looking at the thread if you you get stuck. Email me at rs@cormanser.com if you want some pointers.
85 of 100  -   Report This Post

meursault

5th February 2018, 21:20
Hi SmellyHarry, it's an interesting question you raise, and touches on the question of whether this forum is a spoiler. Personally I don't think that's the case. If you're determined to focus on only one comment at a time, in sequence, and determined to stop reading when you think you're going to learn too much, then you will succeed in that, and looking at last week's thread won't spoil the puzzle for you at all.
86 of 100  -   Report This Post

crates

6th February 2018, 02:24
Smellyharry - I concur with smartie & meursault - well worth perservering for the final clever construction. If you are stuck would take up offer by smartie as any gentle nudge on part of the construction would probably get you going again.
87 of 100  -   Report This Post

samovar

6th February 2018, 10:47
I haven't yet found the quotation or it's source. Can anyone give me a hint ? Thanks.
88 of 100  -   Report This Post

meursault

6th February 2018, 11:07
Hi Samovar. The source is 2 entries at the bottom right, requiring a conjunction. As hinted before on the thread, if you google the source, together with one of the 11-letter entries, eventually you'll find the 3-word phrase.
89 of 100  -   Report This Post

samovar

6th February 2018, 11:13
Thank you, Meursault. I had originally noticed those entries, but was looking for a single person as the source !
90 of 100  -   Report This Post