CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rossim

7th January 2018, 17:54
Same format as 13a.
41 of 54  -   Report This Post

jaffra

7th January 2018, 20:28
I started to write this post, then went back to the thread to check on something, and lost what I had written. I am not sure whether my incomplete post has been sent or not, but I am starting again.

I rarely contribute to the Forum; by the time I get round to opening it, usually late Saturday evening, most of my potential contributions, both queries and answers, have been covered by others. As has been the case on this occasion. I have finished it, I think correctly despite some dubious definitions and questionable wordplay. However, there are a couple that I can't parse.

1a: I have the soldiers, but where does the nurse fit in?
12a: "Sweep" is, in my opinion, one of those dubious definitions, but there is no alternative with the crossing letters. Morning is OK, but how are the rest of the letters derived from empty bags?
42 of 54  -   Report This Post

mamya

7th January 2018, 21:18
1a

Nurse - Enrolled Nurse
Show (TV) - ER
Soldiers - GIs
Tablet - E (Ecstasy)

Gamut - a wide range,a sweep

(to) Empty - Gut - 'bags'/surrounds AM
43 of 54  -   Report This Post

mamya

7th January 2018, 21:19
1a Sorry

Nurse - Enrolled Nurse - EN

44 of 54  -   Report This Post

jaffra

8th January 2018, 00:53
Thanks, Mamya, and all the other helpful solvers.
45 of 54  -   Report This Post

chrise

8th January 2018, 17:10
cowbit @46
Although "alibi" is commonly used to mean "excuse", this is quite wrong. When a defendant claims an alibi, he is saying that he was "elsewhere" at the time of the crime.

Chambers, for once, does give the "excuse for failure" meaning as "colloquial", by which it means "incorrect" :)
46 of 54  -   Report This Post

chrise

8th January 2018, 17:29
OK, cowbit.

I do have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about dictionaries enshrining incorrect meanings (don't get me started on "epicentre"!) I recognise that language changes, but I find in irritating (not aggravating) when two words with different meanings become interchangeable, as it degrades the language.
47 of 54  -   Report This Post

malone

8th January 2018, 19:11
I'm sorry, ChrisE, but 'colloquial' means 'incorrect' is as bad, if not worse, than the 'alibi' and 'epicentre' usages!
48 of 54  -   Report This Post

chrise

8th January 2018, 19:18
It's a coded message, malone!
49 of 54  -   Report This Post

malone

8th January 2018, 19:23
Sorry, ChrisE, where language is concerned, I take things very literally!

50 of 54  -   Report This Post