CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jazzgirl

29th October 2017, 18:14
Any town, or word, ending in 'n' would, have been better than the one used by the setter, but, as always in cryptic crosswords, we just have to treat words as fodder and not read anything else into it
21 of 31  -   Report This Post

crucifer

29th October 2017, 18:23
Which town, Jazzgirl? Essen? Berlin? My dad, who taught me how to do crosswords many years ago, served as a bomb-aimer in Lancasters in 1945. He would have been horrified by this clue.
22 of 31  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

29th October 2017, 18:28
I know how you feel, crucifer. One of my family flew Lancasters and was in the Berlin air lift. Perhaps a letter of complaint is advised. By any town or word, I meant somewhere other than in Germany, eg Eton, Swindon
23 of 31  -   Report This Post

crucifer

29th October 2017, 18:45
But the word-play only works with Dresden! Besides which, neither Eton nor Swindon had thousands of tons of incendiary bombs dropped on them in the space of 48 hours. Even Churchill described the bombing of Dresden as an act of terror, causing a bit of a falling-out with Bomber Command. It's just a dumb, thoughtless clue
24 of 31  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

29th October 2017, 18:57
It is thoughtless (even though Lancaster refers to Burt and not to aircraft) I feel sure there will be complaints. I have searched elsewhere and no one has commented so far. I await Guardian's response in due course.
25 of 31  -   Report This Post

crucifer

29th October 2017, 19:17
Jazzgirl, I understand perfectly well how the clue works. The surface reading clearly refers to the fire-bombing of Dresden. A bit like setting a clue referring to Hiroshima being "nuked" or "atomised".
26 of 31  -   Report This Post

pikestaff

1st November 2017, 07:45
I agree about Dresden and I'm pleased to say I got 27d eventually.

But 11a defeats me. I'm guessing it must be woggled or wongled, but I don't understand the wordplay. Help!
27 of 31  -   Report This Post

bunty

1st November 2017, 08:40
wongied ...oz word for talked... anagram of wide containing on(about) g (gower's 1st)
28 of 31  -   Report This Post

pikestaff

2nd November 2017, 12:20
thank you!
29 of 31  -   Report This Post

crosswhit99

3rd November 2017, 14:11
26d is certainly a rather clumsy attempt at a semi andlit clue by his own high standards especially as 'Lancaster' requires 'for example'. Mind you, he's also once again omitted to indicate that 8d requires the American spelling, easily achieved by adding 'across the pond'.
30 of 31  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » Azed 2368