CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ginge

18th October 2017, 09:38
Place a bet to win (4)
31 of 57  -   Report This Post

skyewalker

18th October 2017, 13:35
With about four and a half hours to go before I have to try to decide on a favourite I, so far, have 30 clues to choose from submitted by 13 setters. Keep them coming. Anyone just looking in, please have a go. You know you want to!
32 of 57  -   Report This Post

skyewalker

18th October 2017, 18:35
Thanks, everyone, for taking part. As ever, excellent work, folks. Too many "likes" to flag them all, so don't feel bad if you're not mentioned in dispatches.

I liked the "ghost" anagrams of "beta" by Pigale @4 and Steve @26, and of "abet" by Ixion @23. Other favourites were Dorrien @12, Mattrom @16, Marty @20 and FJ @25. Thanks also to Mattrom for the education. I now know that a "navy bean" is what we call a "haricot." I learn a new thing every day (but, unfortunately, forget at least ten).

Up until the final submission, Ixion @9 was my front runner, but was pipped at the post by, for its simple but clever (spot the oxymoron) elegance, Ginge @31 with

Place a bet to win

Your prize is a clip of the song I heard on the radio, inspiring the challenge. The lyrics use three different meanings of the word and, realising there were more, thought it might be fruitful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6X17dWibsM

In this golden anniversary year of a certain album, I feel I must post a couple of bonuses. The first was only released that year as a single here, so wasn't on the album (but the uniforms were). The second was on it. Spot the celebrity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rblYSKz_VnI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usNsCeOV4GM

Best wishes, all

SW
33 of 57  -   Report This Post

skyewalker

18th October 2017, 18:39
(Meant to ask, Marty, were you prescient with your @20?)
34 of 57  -   Report This Post

stevea6000

18th October 2017, 19:06
Well done, ginge. Thanks for the comp and the mention, sw (oh, and mine wasn't an anagram ... the a is advanced in beta).

Which celeb was I meant to have seen, apart from the fab four? I'll have to watch again and be more observant!
35 of 57  -   Report This Post

chrise

18th October 2017, 19:11
Congrats ginge - nice clue. Thanks SW.

Weird co-incidence. You might have noticed on the "Personal chatty thread" that I'm reading a book about the Jeremy Thorpe/Norman Scott (nee Josiffe) affair. This came up:

A few weeks later, in March 1966, he (Josiffe) was invited to (Tara) Browne's (son of the fourth Baron Oranmore and Browne) twenty-first birthday party at Leixlip, where he mixed with members of the Rolling Stones. It was to be Browne's last birthday. Nine months later he was killed when his Lotus Elan went through a red light in Earls Court and collided with a lorry - an incident reputed to have inspired another friend of Browne, John Lennon, to write the lines: "He blew his mind out in a car/he didn't notice that the lights had changed"....
36 of 57  -   Report This Post

ixion

18th October 2017, 19:43
Thanks SW, nice one ginge, perfect surface
37 of 57  -   Report This Post

seamus, ayrshire

18th October 2017, 20:20
Congratulations ginge, a very worthy winner and thanks to skyewalker for judging.
38 of 57  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

18th October 2017, 20:27
Excellent ginge.

Cheers for the mention sw ! No, not prescient, just a fan. Wish I could have found a better way to split them up !

How fitting that Hello, Goodbye and it's theme of duality, was the A side to I Am the Walrus on the B ; a great example of the different styles of Paul and John...
39 of 57  -   Report This Post

skyewalker

18th October 2017, 20:37
Sorry, Steve. I did see the workings. Ixion's "abet" I erroneously also mentioned as such in the same sentence.
40 of 57  -   Report This Post