CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dylan

16th September 2017, 13:17
The book is one of my favourites, and led me to join the eponymous society.

A very nice puzzle
1 of 32  -   Report This Post

sunray

16th September 2017, 13:28
I still need a few.

To start with, help on 13a and 33d.
Some clues have a hidden letter which must be restored before solving.

13a. Not like Oman, reduced reserve of fruity compound (6)
Ends in C.

33d. Cycling not to be taken seriously? Exclamations of contempt (5)
?OO??

Thanks.
2 of 32  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

16th September 2017, 13:36
13a is not like (w)Oman

Male starts answer

33d spoof is not taken seriously in wordplay and is cycled for the answer.

I thought this was a good puzzle as well.
3 of 32  -   Report This Post

meursault

16th September 2017, 14:26
A couple of warnings.

The preamble is long and convoluted, and the solver might be tempted to think that Mark, Francis & Robert are three of a kind. But Robert belongs to a different field.

Robert's title didn't necessarily refer to the same R as is subject of the novel. I may be wrong on that, but not sufficiently interested to check it. For the full title of the 3rd hider, think again in terms of the novel.

The location is not the location any longer...Didn't they dig him up ?
4 of 32  -   Report This Post

cockie

16th September 2017, 16:44
Like dylan I am a member. I came across the book as a schoolboy hundreds of years ago and have been a devotee ever since. Boo to Tonypandy! However I'm flummoxed by the "uncovering" bit. I can't pin down any two cells which, when emptied, show anything useful. If I empty the very first and very last cells of Francis's 6 words I can see two names, but they seem to be unconnected with the puzzle's other hider. If that's all that's happening then it's the one weakness in an otherwise superb puzzle. PS Join us now!
5 of 32  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

16th September 2017, 16:51
That's what I did cockie
6 of 32  -   Report This Post

sheepcote

16th September 2017, 17:51
I chased a different 'third seeker' for a while, especially as one was a publisher who only wrote two books. One had a title of 5 words!
7 of 32  -   Report This Post

crates

16th September 2017, 18:00
Thought this an enjoyable puzzle. After completion had no parse for 1D and was trying to see a connection with 10D and 6D instead of looking for alternative meanings of answer - and they say you get older and wiser!
8 of 32  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

16th September 2017, 20:04
Well I did exactly the same so if it makes you feel any better Crates I'm a pensioner so definitely should be older and wiser! Instead I jus get more and more decrepit .... Dignitas here I come.
9 of 32  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

16th September 2017, 20:05
That should be just - even the letters are falling off now ... ;¬(
10 of 32  -   Report This Post