CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

djawhufc

29th July 2017, 13:52
The Inquisitor looks more of a challenge.
11 of 32  -   Report This Post

meursault

29th July 2017, 14:42
The setter might have found a place to squeeze in PERON (No traveller returns). But it wasn't to be...however, it was a welcome escape from the monotonous diet of children's literature.
An interesting interview at lunch on TMS.
12 of 32  -   Report This Post

smithsax

29th July 2017, 15:41
My quickest solve to date. I have just discovered that membership of the Times Crossword Club gives access to historic puzzles so I have started doing some from the beginning of last year. They seem much harder than the current fare.
13 of 32  -   Report This Post

notrab

29th July 2017, 15:43
Agree with Mersault - this was a welcome and gentle stroll especially after last week where I got stuck right at the beginning by thinking that the station for Glyndebourne was Glynde (which I have used) and not Lewes!
14 of 32  -   Report This Post

gitto

29th July 2017, 15:46
I too now have 18 letters now that I have stopped being stupid, pays not to rush things.
15 of 32  -   Report This Post

martyn

30th July 2017, 06:44
I have a full grid and seventeen letter. However the eighteenth could be in one of toe directions. Are others facing the same dilemma (!) ? any advice appreciated. Thanks
16 of 32  -   Report This Post

malone

30th July 2017, 06:53
The eighteenth can go in only one position - and it's probably not the two you've got! If you draw what's created by highlighting the 17, you should see where the 18th has to be. Does this work?(!)
17 of 32  -   Report This Post

martyn

30th July 2017, 09:42
Yes indeed. Thanks Malone
18 of 32  -   Report This Post

dryden

30th July 2017, 10:04
I don't agree with Meursault that there has been a monotonous diet of children's literature. Three out of thirty puzzles this year have been based on children's literature, hardly an excessive number. In any case, what is surely important is not the source, but what the setter does with it. Occasionally the source itself is sufficiently interesting or unfamiliar to be worth researching, but that is a bonus.

In this case I didn't find the treatment of a very familiar and obvious quotation to be particularly interesting, especially as it was inexplicably edited. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing out of the ordinary either. The treatment of a Lear poem three weeks ago was a far more accomplished achievement, and, in my view, rather more engaging.
19 of 32  -   Report This Post

xij

30th July 2017, 10:43
Very quick finish. Only query is that I cannot get the wordplay to 3d.
I was looking forward to watching the cricket after I finished this puzzle yesterday. I saw 2 balls, then rain. I rarely get a chance to watch cricket. Typical! It may be my imagination, but it seems these puzzles are hard when the weather's good, and easy when it's bad.
20 of 32  -   Report This Post