CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cheryl

30th May 2010, 12:56
What is the logic here?

If TUVALU = 9 CUBA = 8 MALTA = 7 TONGA = 6 and NAURU = 5 then which island country equates to 4 in the same context?
1 of 23  -   Report This Post

blondie

30th May 2010, 15:07
I think the numbers are based around Scrabble scores... TUVALU - V is worth 4, the other letters are all worth 1. CUBA - C and B are each worth 3, U and A are each worth one... etc. So you need to think of an island whose letter values add up to 4.
Good luck - geography is not one of my strengths!
2 of 23  -   Report This Post

blondie

30th May 2010, 15:18
I've done a Google search... and discovered NIUE, a small island 2,400km away from New Zealand. It would score 4 points in Scrabble terms - does that work for you?
3 of 23  -   Report This Post

jimc

30th May 2010, 15:36
'Goa' would also make 4 points, I think.

JimC
4 of 23  -   Report This Post

the pedant

30th May 2010, 15:42
Hmmmm, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goa">Goa, isn't really an island!
5 of 23  -   Report This Post

jimc

30th May 2010, 15:54
You're probably right The Panted, especially in the context of this puzzle, although I did read the following on the web ...

Goa, with a coastline of 65 miles, is hilly and includes a portion of the Western Ghats rising to nearly 4,000 feet. The two largest rivers are the Mandavi and Zuari, between the mouths of which lies the island of Goa (Ilhas). The island is triangular, the apex (called the cape) being a rocky headland separating the harbour of Goa into two anchorages.

Sadly, I have never been there so cannot personally verify.

BW
JimC
6 of 23  -   Report This Post

loobyloo

30th May 2010, 18:48
This is a Great Brain Quiz Question not a crossword clue. The question setter takes a dim view of contestants asking questions from it and being spoonfed the answers (if of course they ARE ight)
7 of 23  -   Report This Post

?

30th May 2010, 23:59
here we go
8 of 23  -   Report This Post

the joker

31st May 2010, 00:37
Yep"Q"your premonition is correct.
Loobyloo-I note that you take a dim view of your contestants asking questions and being given answers(right or wrong),on this site.
The vast majority of people on this site are helpful by nature,and enjoy giving assistance/answers when asked.To ignore such a request is against their better nature.
Perhaps you would be better voicing your concerns to your contestants,requesting them not to utilise this site.Quite how you can effectively do this is of course your problem,not ours.
9 of 23  -   Report This Post

mamya

31st May 2010, 00:41
I don't do this quiz but legend has it that all participants are asked not to use answer sites, but we are not to know which quiz the questions are from if the poster does not give details. That maybe loobyloos point to the OP.
10 of 23  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » Confused