CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

djawhufc

27th March 2017, 10:39
It is thistle

The other 7s that cross it are

The Old antiquarian which is a name - 3 letters for a tree and then an animal which lives underground

The other is the cuts vibrating clue- 4letters for rush, followed by what you do in snooker

elenchi in NE corner

The one you have left think Opera
21 of 45  -   Report This Post

orson

27th March 2017, 12:01
Thanks, djawhufc. Finished!
22 of 45  -   Report This Post

mullingar

28th March 2017, 14:11
Hi all. This one has me licked. After a long run I was obviously getting too cocky. Not quite enough cosecutive answers to decipher the full message and even with the hints on here I cant get much further. Most of NW and SE quadrant is filled in (though I have a 6 letter word that appears to begin EO_P___ and there is nothing appearing in Chambers.I can see Elenchi but cannot parse it. Is the poisoned jockey a partial anagram of poisoned? Is Sincere the definition for the next clue? Help please
23 of 45  -   Report This Post

orson

28th March 2017, 15:29
I managed to do this through many leaps of faith on a copy of the grid, looking for words that would fit and then seeing if there were clue to match them.

Mullingar, the EO word is in Chambers. It's two Latin words, the first being just EO.
You are right about the partial anagram of poisoned.
Elchi = ambassador.

24 of 45  -   Report This Post

crates

28th March 2017, 22:08
Mullingar - Further to Orson - Sincere is the Def (Fine bloke + horse minus equal)
25 of 45  -   Report This Post

smartie

28th March 2017, 22:16
This week's offering was made more difficult by the inclusion of a couple of real names that entailed looking beyond Chambers for a solution. A challenge, but everything fits well eventually!
26 of 45  -   Report This Post

mullingar

29th March 2017, 00:46
Thank you Orson and crates. Limped over the line eventually. Very little given away cheaply here i thought. Without the nudges i reckon the bear would have eaten me!
27 of 45  -   Report This Post

smithsax

29th March 2017, 11:00
Finished but probably would not have got there without a hint or two from this forum. Still 100% this year. The most difficult so far in my opinion. Can't see the name from the circled letters though.
28 of 45  -   Report This Post

orson

29th March 2017, 12:46
Smithsax the name is a place, not a person. I think the preamble should say when there are any proper nouns not in Chambers.
29 of 45  -   Report This Post

smithsax

29th March 2017, 16:44
Ah thanks. As a Yorkshireman living in Birmingham I (clearly mistakenly) thought I had already crossed over.
30 of 45  -   Report This Post