CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dylan

25th March 2017, 18:24
A tricky one. I have abut a dozen solutions, but of course no idea where to put them. I thunk I can see TOP and BOTTOM appearing in the message, which sounds reasonable.

I'd like 1dn - two ideas are PERTURBANCES and FLUCTUATIONS, but I can't see a justification for either.

Thoughts, please

1 of 45  -   Report This Post

cockie

25th March 2017, 18:44
dylan - neither of those is right. Note that the 1st and 5th letters of 1D are checked by 4-letter words, of which there are only 4 in the puzzle. Work at these and you might find an entry. If you want to try from the other end look for two words meaning "principal characteristics" and go from there. The word at 1D has a more common meaning that the one used in the definition here.
2 of 45  -   Report This Post

notrab

25th March 2017, 19:05
I have three of the four letter words but not the one for the fourth clue. Hints to that would be helpful so that I can start juggling entries for 1 down. With two other answers - not four letters - begining CT and IY this looks like a difficult solve?
3 of 45  -   Report This Post

dylan

25th March 2017, 19:49
Thanks for the guidance, Cockie. I have two of the 4-letter words, and for another one it's fairly clear which district of NY could lose BR(O). But I can't see what a case of indecency might be.
4 of 45  -   Report This Post

crucifer

25th March 2017, 19:49
It all gets quickly easier once you get 1 down, and I found I could pretty much fill the north west corner having solved about half the clues. Tough going at first, but it all falls into place rapidly. Some tough clues though, and the guidance from the extra letters proved unnecessary
5 of 45  -   Report This Post

crucifer

25th March 2017, 19:53
Dylan, case for indecency is "iy". It's in Chambers, an obsolete word for a family of birds
6 of 45  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

25th March 2017, 21:34
To expand on previous posts - the four 4-letter answers are a good way in, as is treating 1dn in a very basic way - it isn't actually a tricky clue though I didn't honestly know that the answer matched the definition but BRB confirms it. From there don't be afraid of drawing out a grid and trying to jigsaw the answers, always bearing in mind the fact that in any pairing one goes in the upper and one in the lower half of the grid. That might not sound too helpful at first but once you start to get a few answers it doesn't half cut down on the possibilities of what can go where.
7 of 45  -   Report This Post

smartie

26th March 2017, 11:14
Having cold solved half the clues, 1d is still eluding me and I only have 3 of the 4 four letter answers. A hint on Jock's ankle would be appreciated!
8 of 45  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

26th March 2017, 11:40
Cuit is scots ankle in wordplay- the c is extra
9 of 45  -   Report This Post

smartie

26th March 2017, 11:48
Many thanks Djhwhufc. That was the help I needed!
10 of 45  -   Report This Post