CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

lady bee

27th March 2017, 10:49
Here are some HEAVY pointers for your 'thick' family (your words!!)

22. Abbreviation for Fellow i.e. a shortened bit not another word so what LETTER can stand for fellow and that is the first letter of the river (no longer in existence)

32. You haven't picked up on the man of letters. Not a writer, who handles letters on a daily basis. Use that word to google and find a place in London and read about it. I'd not heard of it beforel

47. As we don't know the compiler's name, well we do actually, Neville, but that is hardly going to fit in a clue. So how else, in a normal sort of way, would he talk of himself. So you have the beginning and you've very cleverly got the ending from other clues so it shouldn't be difficult to fnd the line now.

57. You've focussed on the wrong word in the two you quote. Have you heard of the Savoy Hotel in London, that's the vegetable, a type of cabbage but is not the answer. A different word for norm - do you google at all. Put norm-synonyms to find alternatives.

87. It's a table where numbers are given letters and the letters represent ELEMENTS (Hence the clue elementary). Use the numbers in the clue to spell out the word. Also google RA - so two ways to get this answer.

I'll probably get shot down for giving you so much help but if you can't answer the questions now, then you must really consider whether cryptic quizzes are your thing.
141 of 316  -   Report This Post

haeremai18

27th March 2017, 11:09
Thank you lady bee for your help. Will have a good look at them later when I have got rid of my migraine! We enjoy trying to do these quizzes and as I said in my first post, we managed 80 and that was without ANY help from the forum. I logged in yesterday for the first time for help. I will let you know how we get on. Thanks again.
142 of 316  -   Report This Post

haeremai18

27th March 2017, 11:13
Oh I forgot to say Lady Bee, we spend our time googling if we can't work out the answer ourselves!!!!
143 of 316  -   Report This Post

betty

27th March 2017, 14:56
Haeremai18,
You're not alone in finding some of these questions baffling.
Despite all the clues given I'm still stuck on 32 and 57.

I did think of a postman for "man of letters" but got no further.
And though I've checked out several synonyms for "norm" nothing seems to make sense of this clue.

Re 47. The compiler calls himself "me". That should help you.

If you have any more thoughts or clues on 32 & 57, please let me know.
144 of 316  -   Report This Post

trackerpup

27th March 2017, 15:21
Betty, you are right with your thoughts on 32, just need to add a bright s---- for bright person.
57. Lady Bee has given you the hotel, google this with "cat" and you should get an interesting story
145 of 316  -   Report This Post

quiztime

27th March 2017, 15:23
I am not shooting you down as you put it but surely you must see how easy the clues are getting. I presume it's because no one wants to say they gave out an answer but really!
146 of 316  -   Report This Post

haeremai18

27th March 2017, 15:28
Hello Betty. Thank you for restoring our faith in human beings. We were beginning to feel very small!! Had worked out no.22 before I got lady bee's clues. Re 32 I think you are on the right track - google the man of letters you mention. Think I have 47 correct thanks to your 'me' clue but still baffled by 57 & 87. The letters RA can have many meanings!! Good luck to you.
147 of 316  -   Report This Post

haeremai18

27th March 2017, 15:31
Thanks trackerpup for your clue for 57. Along with lady bee's I think I might have the right answer!
148 of 316  -   Report This Post

lady bee

27th March 2017, 16:03
After all the clues you only THINK you have the right answer?

As for 87, if you can't look up the periodic table of elements, look at the numbers given and translate them into elements which spell out the answer and is also strongly hinted at by googling RA, then I'm done giving you clues.
149 of 316  -   Report This Post

haeremai18

27th March 2017, 16:49
We had already got this one prior to your latest post. None of us know we have the right answers until we receive our corrected copies as we all know the compiler has a very devious and clever mind and it is not always the answer you think you might have. We take it you always get 100%? We never have and probably never will but don't do it to get full marks but to try and keep the old grey matter alive and of course donate to the very worthy causes which these quizzes are in aid of. I rest my case.
150 of 316  -   Report This Post